X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

start-up problem ?

Kubuntu 7.10 running in VirtualBox.

I did something wrong and now my start-up says tty1 and wants me to login. When I do it leave me in terminal mode. It just occurred to me that I've never started Linux from a terminal. How do I get back to GUI mode ?
    Acer Aspire 5610z,Vista HP, No problems with Vista... so far, but I&#39;m learning Linux, just in case.<br />Acer Aspire 5315-2153, $348 Walmart Special,Mandriva Linux 2008.1 Spring Edition,2.5GB Ram,VirtualBox 1.6.0 OSE

Re: start-up problem ?

I don't know VirtualBox but with normal installation > Guide to X11/Starting Sessions

Try:
    Code:
    startx
    or/and
    Code:
    which startkde
    Here it tells:
    /usr/bin/startkde
    So KDE will start with:
    Code:
    xinit /usr/bin/startkde
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Is the Konsole the same thing as tty ?
      Acer Aspire 5610z,Vista HP, No problems with Vista... so far, but I&#39;m learning Linux, just in case.<br />Acer Aspire 5315-2153, $348 Walmart Special,Mandriva Linux 2008.1 Spring Edition,2.5GB Ram,VirtualBox 1.6.0 OSE

Comment

Is the Konsole the same thing as tty ?

> Terminal emulator
        A terminal emulator, terminal application, term, or tty for short, is a program that emulates a "dumb" video terminal within some other display architecture. Though typically synonymous with a command line shell or text terminal, the term terminal covers all remote terminals, including graphical interfaces. A terminal emulator inside a graphical user interface is often called a terminal window...

For the X Window System, there are many different terminal emulators for local access, such as xterm, dtterm, Eterm, GNOME Terminal, Konsole, rxvt, mrxvt, wterm, SwitchTerm, TeemTalk and aterm.

> Virtual console (PC)
        In computing, some operating systems such as UnixWare, Linux and BSD, feature a virtual console (VC, sometimes virtual terminal, VT) — a conceptual combination of the keyboard and the display for a user interface. The concrete combination is the system console of the computer, where the user can switch between the virtual consoles to access multiple unrelated user interfaces. Virtual consoles date back at least to Xenix in the 1980s.[1]

Usually in Linux, the first six virtual consoles provide a text terminal with a login prompt to a Unix shell. The graphical X Window System starts in the seventh virtual console. In Linux, the switching is performed with a key combination of Alt plus a function key -- for example Alt+F1 to access the virtual console number 1. Alt+Left arrow changes to the previous virtual console and Alt+Right arrow to the next virtual console. To switch from the X Window System, Ctrl+Alt+function key works. (Note that users can re-define these default key-combinations.)...
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

So... every time Linux boots
          1. 6 tty's are started
          2. X11 is started in the 7th tty
          3. A GUI is started in x11 and that is what pops up on my screen.

so if I press Ctrl+Alt+F1 it should launch KDE. (after logging in and entering the password, I assume)

Comment

What did you do that lead to your current situation?

You can troubleshoot a bit with:

1. Ctrl+Alt+F7
            Should take you to the graphical login screen (kdm running on tty7)
            (If it doesn't, either X or kdm did not start at boot)

2. sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
            Using this command in tty1 (after logging in) should start kdm on tty7 and switch you to it.
            (If it doesn't, you should get error messages that tell you what went wrong)

EDIT: Oops didn't notice you were running in virtualbox (which I'm not that familiar with)...these instructions are for a regular installation. Don't know if tty switching works in virtualbox, you can still try #2

Comment

Working...
            X