Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade 7.04 - 7.10 >> Synaptic or Terminal ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade 7.04 - 7.10 >> Synaptic or Terminal ?

Which is the best way to upgrade distros, Synaptic or directly from the terminal?

mhumm2
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Re: Upgrade 7.04 - 7.10 >> Synaptic or Terminal ?

With Kubuntu, I'd recommend Adept Manager -- use the "Dist. Upgrade" button on the menu, and be very patient and deliberate. The upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy took about an hour and downloaded over 600MB of files, if memory serves. Don't jump to the conclusion that it is "frozen", just walk away and let it do its thing.

Comment

Re: Upgrade 7.04 - 7.10 >> Synaptic or Terminal ?

Great, I'll use Adept then. Of course, before I do that, I have to solve my repository problem. Any ideas?

Code:
      $ sudo apt-get -u dist-upgrade
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done
      Calculating upgrade... Done
      The following packages will be REMOVED:
       akregator amarok amarok-xine ark celestia digikam gwenview k3b kaddressbook kaffeine kaffeine-mozilla
       kaffeine-xine kalzium kamera karm kasteroids katapult kate kaudiocreator kbackgammon kbstate kcalc kcontrol
       kcron kde-guidance kde-guidance-powermanager kde-style-polyester kde-systemsettings kdeadmin-kfile-plugins
       kdebase-bin kdebase-kio-plugins kdebluetooth kdegraphics-kfile-plugins kdelibs4c2a
       kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdenetwork-filesharing kdenetwork-kfile-plugins
       kdepasswd kdepim-kio-plugins kdepim-kresources kdepim-wizards kdeprint kdesktop kdevelop kdm kdnssd keep
       kexi kfind kftpgrabber kghostview khelpcenter kicker kio-apt kio-locate kipi-plugins klipper kmag kmahjongg
       kmail kmailcvt kmenuedit kmid kmilo kmines kmix kmoon kmousetool kmplayer-base kmplayer-konq-plugins
       kmymoney2 knetworkconf knetworkmanager knights knotes kodo koffice-libs kolf konq-plugins konqueror
       konqueror-nsplugins konsole kontact konversation kooka kopete korganizer kpat kpdf kpf kpoker kppp kradio
       krdc krecipes krename krfb kscd kscreensaver ksensors ksirtet ksmserver ksnapshot kspaceduel ksplash
       ksplash-engine-moodin kstars ksvg ksysguard ksystemlog ktechlab ktorrent ktrack kubuntu-default-settings
       kubuntu-docs kubuntu-konqueror-shortcuts kwalletmanager kwin kwin-style-crystal kworldclock kxmame
       libcvsservice0 libk3b2 libk3b2-mp3 libkbanking1 libkcal2b libkcddb1 libkdeedu3 libkdegames1 libkdepim1a
       libkexif1 libkexiv2-0 libkipi0 libkleopatra1 libkmime2 libkonq4 libkpimexchange1 libkpimidentities1
       libkscan1 libksieve0 libktnef1 libskim0 networkstatus openoffice.org-kde python-kde3 schafkopf skim
       superkaramba wlassistant
      The following NEW packages will be installed:
       cryptsetup linux-headers-2.6.20-17 linux-headers-2.6.20-17-generic linux-image-2.6.20-17-generic
       linux-restricted-modules-2.6.20-17-generic openssl-blacklist winbind
      The following packages have been kept back:
       ksysguardd poppler-utils python-qt4 python-sip4
      The following packages will be upgraded:
       bzip2 ca-certificates cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-client cupsys-common firefox gs-esp gs-esp-x
       gstreamer0.10-plugins-good gtk-qt-engine gtk2-engines-gtk-qt kdebase-data kdelibs-data language-pack-en
       language-pack-kde-en libbz2-1.0 libcdio6 libcupsimage2 libcupsys2 libgnutls13 libgs-esp8 libhsqldb-java
       libicu36 libiso9660-4 libkrb53 libmysqlclient15off libnspr4 libnss3 libpcre3 libpoppler1 libpoppler1-qt
       libpq5 libruby1.8 libsdl-image1.2 libsmbclient libspeex1 libssl0.9.8 linux-generic linux-headers-2.6.20-16
       linux-headers-2.6.20-16-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-2.6.20-16-generic linux-image-generic
       linux-libc-dev linux-restricted-modules-common linux-restricted-modules-generic mysql-common nvidia-glx
       openoffice.org openoffice.org-base openoffice.org-calc openoffice.org-common openoffice.org-core
       openoffice.org-draw openoffice.org-filter-mobiledev openoffice.org-impress openoffice.org-java-common
       openoffice.org-math openoffice.org-style-andromeda openoffice.org-style-crystal openoffice.org-style-default
       openoffice.org-writer openssh-client openssl python-uno python2.4 python2.4-dev python2.4-minimal python2.5
       python2.5-dev python2.5-doc python2.5-examples python2.5-minimal rsync ruby1.8 samba-common smbclient
       ssl-cert ttf-opensymbol tzdata unzip vorbis-tools wine xserver-xorg-core
      85 upgraded, 7 newly installed, 150 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
      Need to get 259MB of archives.
      I don't understand why the system wants to remove all those packages. Any ideas?
      "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Re: Upgrade 7.04 - 7.10 >> Synaptic or Terminal ? RESOLVED !!!

Thanks to everyone for weighing in. I've since upgraded (hardware dual boot) to 8.04 replacing my Windoze system completely !!!

mhumm2

Comment

Working...
        X