Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem upgrading from 7.04 to 7.10. RESOLVED !!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem upgrading from 7.04 to 7.10. RESOLVED !!!

I'm having some major challenges upgrading distros from 7.04. Here's the summary of my challenge:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get -u dist-upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
     akregator amarok amarok-xine ark celestia digikam gwenview k3b kaddressbook kaffeine kaffeine-mozilla
     kaffeine-xine kalzium kamera karm kasteroids katapult kate kaudiocreator kbackgammon kbstate kcalc kcontrol
     kcron kde-guidance kde-guidance-powermanager kde-style-polyester kde-systemsettings kdeadmin-kfile-plugins
     kdebase-bin kdebase-kio-plugins kdebluetooth kdegraphics-kfile-plugins kdelibs4c2a
     kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdenetwork-filesharing kdenetwork-kfile-plugins
     kdepasswd kdepim-kio-plugins kdepim-kresources kdepim-wizards kdeprint kdesktop kdevelop kdm kdnssd keep
     kexi kfind kftpgrabber kghostview khelpcenter kicker kio-apt kio-locate kipi-plugins klipper kmag kmahjongg
     kmail kmailcvt kmenuedit kmid kmilo kmines kmix kmoon kmousetool kmplayer-base kmplayer-konq-plugins
     kmymoney2 knetworkconf knetworkmanager knights knotes kodo koffice-libs kolf konq-plugins konqueror
     konqueror-nsplugins konsole kontact konversation kooka kopete korganizer kpat kpdf kpf kpoker kppp kradio
     krdc krecipes krename krfb kscd kscreensaver ksensors ksirtet ksmserver ksnapshot kspaceduel ksplash
     ksplash-engine-moodin kstars ksvg ksysguard ksystemlog ktechlab ktorrent ktrack kubuntu-default-settings
     kubuntu-docs kubuntu-konqueror-shortcuts kwalletmanager kwin kwin-style-crystal kworldclock kxmame
     libcvsservice0 libk3b2 libk3b2-mp3 libkbanking1 libkcal2b libkcddb1 libkdeedu3 libkdegames1 libkdepim1a
     libkexif1 libkexiv2-0 libkipi0 libkleopatra1 libkmime2 libkonq4 libkpimexchange1 libkpimidentities1
     libkscan1 libksieve0 libktnef1 libskim0 networkstatus openoffice.org-kde python-kde3 schafkopf skim
     superkaramba wlassistant
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
     cryptsetup linux-headers-2.6.20-17 linux-headers-2.6.20-17-generic linux-image-2.6.20-17-generic
     linux-restricted-modules-2.6.20-17-generic openssl-blacklist winbind
    The following packages have been kept back:
     ksysguardd poppler-utils python-qt4 python-sip4
    The following packages will be upgraded:
     bzip2 ca-certificates cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-client cupsys-common firefox gs-esp gs-esp-x
     gstreamer0.10-plugins-good gtk-qt-engine gtk2-engines-gtk-qt kdebase-data kdelibs-data language-pack-en
     language-pack-kde-en libbz2-1.0 libcdio6 libcupsimage2 libcupsys2 libgnutls13 libgs-esp8 libhsqldb-java
     libicu36 libiso9660-4 libkrb53 libmysqlclient15off libnspr4 libnss3 libpcre3 libpoppler1 libpoppler1-qt
     libpq5 libruby1.8 libsdl-image1.2 libsmbclient libspeex1 libssl0.9.8 linux-generic linux-headers-2.6.20-16
     linux-headers-2.6.20-16-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-2.6.20-16-generic linux-image-generic
     linux-libc-dev linux-restricted-modules-common linux-restricted-modules-generic mysql-common nvidia-glx
     openoffice.org openoffice.org-base openoffice.org-calc openoffice.org-common openoffice.org-core
     openoffice.org-draw openoffice.org-filter-mobiledev openoffice.org-impress openoffice.org-java-common
     openoffice.org-math openoffice.org-style-andromeda openoffice.org-style-crystal openoffice.org-style-default
     openoffice.org-writer openssh-client openssl python-uno python2.4 python2.4-dev python2.4-minimal python2.5
     python2.5-dev python2.5-doc python2.5-examples python2.5-minimal rsync ruby1.8 samba-common smbclient
     ssl-cert ttf-opensymbol tzdata unzip vorbis-tools wine xserver-xorg-core
    85 upgraded, 7 newly installed, 150 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
    Need to get 259MB of archives.
    Why would all of those packages be removed to accomplish this upgrade? What can I do to prevent their removal and just upgrade along with the OS? Please help.

Mark
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Re: Problem upgrading. Please Help!

Are you following these Upgrading from 7.04 (Feisty) instructions?

Edited 22-Nov-08: Corrected the URL in the link above.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Problem upgrading. Please Help!

Hi Snowhog; No, I can't find the upgrading instructions from the link you provided. Anyway, do you have any idea why it seems my repositories are so messed up and what I can do about it?

mhumm2
      "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Re: Problem upgrading from 7.04 to 7.10. Please Help!

On the linked page, at the top, you see:

News

Kubuntu 8.04.1 Released

Submitted on Thu, 2008-07-03
        The first update to Kubuntu 8.04 has been released. Download or upgrade now.
        Click on the upgrade and you are taken to Kubuntu Hardy Heron Upgrade << Live hyperlink

Comment

Okay, I understand how to upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04, but my immediate challenge is to upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10 and I'm unable to do that until I figure out my repository problem. Any ideas then?

mhumm2

Comment

There is a simple way to upgrade. Open (as root) your /etc/apt/sources.list file and do a replace on all occurrences of feisty with gutsy

Save and close the file. Open Adept Manager from the K Menu. Click on Fetch Updates. When the update is completed you should see the message that a new release is available.

As to your stated "why it seems my repositories are so messed up " question, please post it here for a review.

Comment

Snowhog;

The output is at the top of this thread. I included it with the original post. I'm very apprehensive to download upgrades if the repositories are screwed up in some way. If there's anything else you need to see, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks.

mhumm2

Comment

Originally posted by mhumm2
                The output is at the top of this thread.
                That isn't your sources.list file. Open a console and type:
                Code:
                cat /etc/apt/source.list
                Copy and paste the output in your reply.

Comment

Re: Problem upgrading from 7.04 to 7.10. RESOLVED !!!

Thanks to all who weighed in on this issue. Since I dual boot (hardware switch) to Kubuntu and Windoze XP, I decided to replace my XP HD with Kubuntu 8.04. So far it works great and I don't miss Windoze at all!!!

mhumm2

Comment

Well, that's one way to accomplish your task. Really, I'm happy you got it worked out. Good job. Please return to your initial post in this thread and click the modify button so you can add SOLVED to the subject line.

Comment

Working...
                    X