This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 7.04 to 8.04

I once attempted the upgrade to 7.10 but that didn't work out for me. I had a lot of things installed and I did not feel like starting over. Now I feel the urge to upgrade again since 8.04 is out and I've read good things about it. Unfortunately I cannot find any instructions other than go to Adept and choose upgrade. That attempts a 7.10 upgrade and in the processes it errors out with:
    "Failed to fetch http://www.getautomatix.com/apt/dist...86/Packages.gz 404 Not Found"

What should I do?

Re: Kubuntu 7.04 to 8.04

Earlier > Topic: upgrade 404 error!

I have not used Automatix but > Automatix
    Warnings and Security Issues

Please note that Automatix2 is a third-party utility, developed and maintained independently by the Automatix Team and is not supported nor recommended by Ubuntu.

1. Package fails to conform to Debian or Ubuntu policy.
    2. Has been reported to cause problems with upgrading to newer versions of Ubuntu (ie. Dapper to Edgy).
    3. Does not warn you before overwriting files.
    4. May save files with incorrect permissions.
    5. May allow users to interfere with other users files.
    6. Installs truecrypt suid root (security issue).
    7. Deletes lines from fstab replacing them with device nodes rather than UUIDs.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Kubuntu Hardy Heron Upgrade and refer to the To Upgrade from Kubuntu 7.10 to Kubuntu 8.04 over the Internet, use the following procedure: section.

But before you do this, you should edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file and comment (put a # in front of) out the line that contains the automatix entry (http://www.getautomatix.com/apt/dist.../Packages.gznt). Automatix and Adept do not get along.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I just burned another Live CD and installed it over my current Kubuntu. I didn't care too much about losing stuff since I no longer do dev work at home. However, not only did I manage to get the 64-bit version installed over the 32 bit version, I still have all of my files and most of my software.

If I were more patient I'd still be stuck at 32-bits, so I guess there is a virtue to reckless haste... Alright, I'll admit that I did a full system backup before hand

Comment

You wuss
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
          X