This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install Kubuntu 7.10 on an old laptop with no DVD drive

I am using Kubuntu 7.10 on my desktop computer and like it a lot.

I have an older laptop that has a CD Rom reader but no DVD drive.

I have Nero and Roxio software to convert the iso but when I try to do that I am faced with a problem. The CD is not big enough for the resulting program. I get a message that the CD needs to be a bit over 700 mb which is not possible.

I have an external DVD drive but the laptop will not boot from it.

I was very fortunate that the process of installing Kubuntu 7.10 on the desktop went well, and after a bit of effort things are working very well. I sure would like it on the laptop as well but I can not figure out how to do it.

Hopefully there is a simple way to effect this and I hope it is just my lack of knowledge that is the problem.

Thanks for any possible help.

Arthur VE3GFB

Re: How to install Kubuntu 7.10 on an old laptop with no DVD drive

Just download and burn to LiveCD the regular 7.10 (or 8.04 non-remix version). It does burn to a regular CD - I've done it many times.

Gutsy Gibbon CDs
    Hardy Heron CDs
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: How to install Kubuntu 7.10 on an old laptop with no DVD drive

Yep. It goes back to the old "does a kilo equal 1000 or 1024" question. The CD iso will write very nicely to a CD.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
      X