X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED cannot boot live CD

Hi,

My machine won't boot from any linux live CD - I've Kubuntu / Ubuntu / Linux Mint.

So I'd like to install Kununtu 7.10 (gutsy) I have a live CD which I've tested on another machine and it boots up OK.

When I try to boot my machine from the CD, it says 'Loading linux Kernel', which seems to only take a few seconds but then when it gets to the Kubuntu logo and the little blue bar going back and forth, it just hangs and nothing else happens.

I have win XP pro SP2, which I plan to keep (at least in the short term) so I'm looking at setting up a dual boot.

I do have 3 hard drives, so I wonder if this could be complicating matters?

My machines spec is:

Pentium 4 2.93GHz
    1Gb Ram
    Intel 915GV Graphics chip on board - but I'm not using this because:
    Nvidea Quadro NVS 280 PCI graphics card (dual monitor)
    2 x DVD drives which the BIOS lists as primary master and slave
    3 x hard drives which the BIOS lists as third master/slave and fourth master

Also - I'm not particularly knowledgeable about this stuff, does anyone know why there is no secondary IDE drives? Should I try changing these settings?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as I would really like to make the move away from windows.

Re: cannot boot live CD

I had a similar problem. On a machine that had used all live cd's and installed a few, all of a sudden I got to the loading and no more progress you are experiencing. What it came down to was I had to remove my agp and then it all installed fine.

Since you have onboard vid you might try this approach, and then you could edit the xorg.conf to allow you to install your graphics card. I wouldn't be any help w/ that part but I'll be you could get it up and running this way. Then post a new thread for help getting your card working properly.
    [img width=400 height=138]http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7460/rigsigeo0.jpg[/img]

Comment

I agree with RJ -- it is most probably a video-related problem. First disable the onboard video in your BIOS, if you can, and try it. If that doesn't work, remove the Nvidia card and try using the onboard chip -- there is an intel 915 driver. There is a known AGP issue, which you can search Ubuntu Forum and learn a lot about -- I think there is a documented workaround for that.

Finally, this might help a bit, even though it is targeted to the post-install version of your problem:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

HTH

Comment

I've got the 915 also, but no separate video card (I have onboard video only). No problems ever with 7.10 (or any previous versions). Your video card may very well be the culprit here, as these guys have said.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

SOLVED Re: cannot boot live CD

It seems that the problem was the graphics card, removed that and it booted fine...thanks a lot guys.

Comment

Working...
          X