This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM Install

just installed gutsy on a pavilion 8650c to save it from an evil version of win98.
    I did an oem install, went through the steps quite easily. When I got to the desk top I went to adept installer to get updates, and since the system tray icon said the connection was active I thought everything went fine.
    I go to use konqueror to do some web surfing, it goes no where,it just goes into strigi.
    Do I have to oem-config-prepare to finish things off first? I would really like to get firefox and thunderbird but even going into add/remove programs doesn't help.

Advice for the noooobeeee would be great

vacc73

Re: OEM Install

how about
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install firefox flashplugin-nonfree gnash
    from terminal, sorry Konsole that will install firefox and needed flash plugins.
    [img width=400 height=138]http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7460/rigsigeo0.jpg[/img]

Comment

Hi, meant to get back sooner but was experimenting.
      Tried 'sudo apt-get install firefox flashplugin-nonfree gnash', did not work
      Tried oem-config-prepare, I then could use Konqueror to surf the web
      Still could not install firefox or thunderbird from add/remove programs
      Tried to download and install firefox from mozilla's own site, hitting run in the dialog window, but all that happened was the monitor filled with multicoloured, vertical lines.
      I rebooted and got back to the desktop, and things seemed to be back to normal except for not having mozilla's product on my system.
      Tried again with t-bird, got the same screen as before(vertical lines),
      This time it would not boot at all.
      Tried to reinstall, but it would not go, either from oem disc or live cd. I even tried to use an ubuntu/fiesty cd to install, but no go
      I am thinking it might be a hardware issue now and will get the drive checked out, wiped and try again.
      There is a bright spot however, I had a drive with 7.05 already installed and I swapped it over about half an hour ago and am using it now to update what i've done
      It works fine,... but I am still determined to install 7.10
      Thank you Thank you for the advice, it is allways appreciated

P.S. Went to a used computer store to see if I could find somthing I could use, and the conversation turned to using linux on older machines, and I was indulgently told that I neither had enough ram or processor....Well!!!
      I'm not trying to run compiz-fusion or anything of the like, but pIII 550 with 191mg ram is doing pretty durn good!!!
      So,.....What do they Know!!!

Comment

The PIII 550 is O.K., but you really do need to boost the RAM to at least 256, but more if you can. I'm running a PIII 700 with 384MB and Kubuntu does alright, but is no speed demon.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490

but you really do need to boost the RAM to at least 256, but more if you can.
          FYI, on a Dell Dimension 2400, with 256M of RAM, the Kubuntu 8.04 Beta Live CD would not finish loading the high-resolution desktop. This was yesterday when I was helping a family friend recover data from her crashed Windows disk. The Live CD kind of died somewhere between putting up the panel and configuring the mouse. I tried again in Safe Graphics mode and it worked great. So I think maybe the Heron is looking for at least 512M of RAM, or else a better graphics system that what she has on that PC. :P

Comment

Hello!
            Thanks for the replies...., and yes, I agree that I need more ram and since ordered some. Unfortunately this hp likes the proprietary stuff but I have some on the way. I also have a 1gig celeron chip to install and am looking for something better than on-board video, preferably 64-128mb, and something that won't be too expensive as I am trying to keep to a budget on this one. It's all good though 'cause I've managed to learn a lot from every step forward/back that I have taken so far. I am starting to look forward to the release of Hardy, later on this month.
            Vacc73

Comment

Working...
            X