X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

login to liveCD?

Hi!
    I would like to install Kubuntu, I downloaded the kubuntu-7.10-desktop-amd64.iso, and if I boot it, I get the login screen. I found on a ubuntu forum, that the image is damaged try to download it again, but I tried to download it many times from many different servers, and I made an MD5 check also, so that could not be the problem.

Yes, my machine supports EMT64, I've got an installed fedora core 8, amd64 edition.

Re: login to liveCD?

You have two risks to manage:

1. The downloaded ISO image file on your hard drive must match the md5 sum listed on the download site.

2. The compression technology used to make the ISO file requires that you do the CD burn at 4X speed, and then it is good to "check CD" from the boot CD menu.

I personally prefer the Alternate Install CD to the (desktop) Live CD, but that is your choice. The Live CD has more packages and features. The Alternate Install CD has more installation options and controls.

Comment

The md5 matched, I worte it with data verification with nero 8, and I made the cd check from the boot menu, but there was no peroblems. I wrote at 4x speed, but to a DVD-RW. Could that be the problem?

I have 1 CD-R at home, so I'll try to write to it at 4x speed.

Edit: Oops, I just see that my writer supports only 8x and up XD

Comment

Hmmmmm -- it is a CD image, not a DVD image -- that could be a problem. :P

Comment

I wrote it to a cd already, but at 32x, I didn't worked. The problem is, that my writer doesn't supports 4x, only 8x and above. I give it a try on my notebook.

Edit: Maybe the cd supports only 8x and above, because my laptop don't want 4x. Is there any way to install from a booted livecd distro?

Comment

8X might work, or it might not. The official *buntu recommendation is 4X. :P

Comment

Ok, I'll install it from the alternate disc, I hope I won't screw my disk like I did a few years ago But... it was an accident

Comment

I don't understand this... I'm now in the livecd, it booted well on my notebook. Next next step will be that I dig my about 10 year old cd reader from the computer that sat under my desk for 4-5 years, and try on that.

Comment

I hesitate to say this, since you've already had CD-burning problems today, but .... I always use a GParted Live CD to do my disk partitioning and formatting first, then use the Kubuntu Alternate Install CD just to install the OS. Kinda keeps the problem of partitioning separate from the installation process. With the Alternate Install CD, and your hard drive already partitioned and formatted, you simply pick the partitions that you want "/", "/home" and "swap" mounted on.

Get the GParted ISO here (get ver. -10, not -11 as it is said to be buggy):

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=173828

Comment

I just wanted to wrote that I'll kick that sh*t and... Ok, I'm fine
                    So I'll do it with the alternate cd, and I'll try the GParted stuff.

The alternate cd doesn't have these problems? It doesn't suggester to be written at 4x speed?

Can I tell the kubuntu installer not to hurt the MBR, and only install the grub on the partition I install it on?

Comment

Originally posted by Flatron

The alternate cd doesn't have these problems? It doesn't suggester to be written at 4x speed?
                      The recommendation is 4X for either CD version.

Can I tell the kubuntu installer not to hurt the MBR, and only install the grub on the partition I install it on?
                      Only with the Alternate Install CD, AFAIK, and you have to be careful and observant -- the default location for Grub is the MBR of (hd0).

If you are mixing IDE and SATA hard drives, it gets considerably more complicated.... :P

Comment

I installed the system, looks like everything works fine, thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatron

Only with the Alternate Install CD, AFAIK, and you have to be careful and observant -- the default location for Grub is the MBR of (hd0).

If you are mixing IDE and SATA hard drives, it gets considerably more complicated.... :P
                          Yes, the "normal" kubuntu CD has that feature, albeit well hidden. Right in the last screen of the installer is a little box called "advanced". Tick it and you will get the option of where to put GRUB.
                          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
                          X