This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dangerous packages and upgrades

It seems as a new user of Linux and kubuntu specifically, that after 4 formats the upgrade process in kubuntu is something very frightening for me!!! I don;t what kind of broken packages cause the problem, but now i have a stable system and i'll stick to that. Is there a list of the problematic upgrades and packages that we should avoid to download?

Re: Dangerous packages and upgrades

Originally posted by dimmutal

Is there a list of the problematic upgrades and packages that we should avoid to download?
    Not that I know of, but there IS a list of packages that will do no harm. It's the list that you see when you open Adept Manager.

Comment

Welcome to the party.
      As you have probably noticed there are a lot of roads leading to Rome in Linux

Some of the people here are not going to totally agree with me but out of my own very humble but painful experience I do the following:
      install synaptic:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install synaptic
      from a terminal.

kmenu->system->terminal.

and use that as your package manager.
      For more reading:
      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto

You will find it in kmenu->system->synaptic

It is much more stable than adept.

Adept will become "adept" soon but is not quite there yet.

As for updates/grades I always do:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      Code:
      sudo apt-get upgrade
      in a terminal.

Bythw you can always retrieve commands in the terminal with the up/down pointers on your keyboard

Enjoy
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

As a long time Kubuntu user I agree with the other posters there are no dangers in using stuff from the repositories, including upgrades.
        Although I agree Synaptic is more mature than Adept it has never caused me problems though I accept every proposed upgrade.
        But be aware that a (full) distro upgrade is might give you a less pleasant experience, always back up before one!

Comment

Well there are repositories and there are repositories. If you are using backports:

From UbuntuBackports
          https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports
          Stability

However, given the nature of introducing newer versioned packages from a development distribution into a stable, released distribution, problems can arise. The most common side-effects would be a bug that escaped testing, or a new configuration file format (or other kind of incompatibility). If you have problems with a Backports package please report it in the Backports bugtracker and not the main Ubuntu one.
          No problems here, but... Topic: recent problem with kaffeine
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Adept has some stability problems and occasionally crash at bad moments. However, there is a simple command that has never failed for me to fix whatever problems occur:

Code:
            sudo dpkg --configure -a
            That will finish whatever install was going on, and then everything will work nicely again. Write it down on a piece of paper and keep it next to the monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

Is there a list of the problematic upgrades and packages that we should avoid to download?
              Not that I know of, but there IS a list of packages that will do no harm. It's the list that you see when you open Adept Manager.
              Sorry dibl, but after an upgrade in adept i ended up in not booting at all and finally formatting..

Comment

Sorry dibl, but after an upgrade in adept i ended up in not booting at all and finally formatting..

OK, how about this:

"In Adept Manager, the packages in the list are harmless, but the Dist-Upgrade button is dangerous."

Sorry.

Comment

i have upgraded my siystem from the version 7.04 to 7.10 and i couldnt change the resolution

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                    Welcome to the party.
                    As you have probably noticed there are a lot of roads leading to Rome in Linux

Some of the people here are not going to totally agree with me but out of my own very humble but painful experience I do the following:
                    install synaptic:
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get install synaptic
                    from a terminal.

kmenu->system->terminal.

and use that as your package manager.
                    For more reading:
                    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto

You will find it in kmenu->system->synaptic

It is much more stable than adept.

Adept will become "adept" soon but is not quite there yet.

As for updates/grades I always do:
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get update
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get upgrade
                    in a terminal.

Bythw you can always retrieve commands in the terminal with the up/down pointers on your keyboard

Enjoy
                    Iwill totally agree with Fintan. Recently installed Synaptic and all upgrades advanced perfect. It seems that for now i'll stick to synaptic until a new upgrade for adept is released.

Comment

Originally posted by seed.helper
                      i have upgraded my siystem from the version 7.04 to 7.10 and i couldnt change the resolution
                      How did you change it in 7.04?

Comment

Working...
                      X