This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual boot problems in SATA HD's

I've read the important info section but no clue. I installed Kubuntu to a friend's pc. He had win XP in sdb and in sdc i installed kubuntu. BOTH HD's are SATA. I set the GRUB to hd0 (the default value during installation). Guess what... Only win Xp will load, no boot screen to select among win and kubuntu. What went wrong? What can i do?

Re: Dual boot problems in SATA HD's

What happened?
    The Kubuntu installer got the drives wrong and/or BIOS isn't set the way that's best (or intened).

Basically, your 3 HDDs are listed in BIOS in boot order: first to boot, second to boot, third to boot. The hard drive that is set first to boot is always seen by BIOS as hd0 >> when the PC actually boots from that drive <<.

You need to re-install GRUB from the Kubuntu root partition (where your GRUB files are) to the Master Boot Record of the hd0 hard drive.

It sounds like the PC is booting from the Windows drive? (I.e., the Windows drive is set in BIOS as the first-boot drive?)

Start the Live Kubuntu CD.
    In the live session, open Konsole.
    Type
    sudo grub
    to get a GRUB prompt, grub>, and type
    grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
    That will return some value (hdx,y). Use that here to re-install GRUB to hd0:
    grub> root (hdx,y)
    grub> setup (hd0)
    grub> quit
    exit
    exit out the Live CD session, eject/remove the CD, re-boot and see what happens.

That should re-install GRUB properly.
    Afterwards, you may still have to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst in Kubuntu so both OSs boot correctly, but you may not have to edit menu.lst if it all works.

BTW, you didn't mention the third HD sda?

=> While you are in the live Kubuntu CD session, you might run at Konsole
    sudo fdisk -lu
    to see what the drives look like (sda, sdb, sdc).
    Also, while at the grub> prompt, you might explore the drives a bit as follows:
    grub> geometry (hd0)
    grub> geometry (hd1)
    grub> geometry (hd2)
    and see if you can recognize the drives.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Ok, i set kubuntu to load from (hd1,0) and winxp from (hd0,0).everything is ok now. Now on to the next problem which is why it doesn't automounts the other two hardrives (one ide, one sata)....

Comment

So, the GRUB post is Solved, and the other looks like a new thread (involving Disk & Filesystems and fstab configuring).
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
        X