X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

uninstall kubuntu and "dual boot"

hello mates

i need you help to uninstall kubuntu completely and grub ( i think is the dual boot program)

what can i do ?

i will use a virtual machine after this, instead of my system

can you give me the steps... and if needed something to protect in case of something goes wrong

cheers
    david :P

Re: uninstall kubuntu and "dual boot"

Still no reply here?

Okay, no need to uninstall - you could simply wipe out the ext3 and swap partitions using the gparted boot CD. However, I'd only do that, if you know how to restore the master boot record. There is a dos command for that, but it must be at least six years that I used it and I don't know it off by heart any more...
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Why do want to get rid of kubuntu ?

Oh well just a few questions:
      Do have vista or xp / 2000?

I can't help you with vista as I have never used it. Try searching this forum and or google for things vista.

If you have xp / 2000 and the install cd then you can choose "repair system from the install cd and it will replace grub with in the mbr with the windows boot mechanism.

As for getting rid of kubuntu just follow toads instructions and get the gparted boot cd:
      http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

Edit:
      I did find this here for vista:
      http://apcmag.com/5046/how_to_dual_b...nstalled_first

If instead of GRUB you want Vista's bootloader to be in charge, load up the Vista installation and install EasyBCD. Go to “Manage Bootloader”, then “Reinstall the Vista Bootloader”, an GRUB is overwritten. You can then configure the Vista bootloader to add Linux to the boot menu.
      You can find easybcd here:
      http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
      I hope this points you in the right direction
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Oh well, and I am talking about dos
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Oh well, and I am talking about dos
          Well, if you don't have a windows install cd/dvd then you will have to go the dos path.

In fact even if you do then you can to use two dos commands:
          Vista:
          http://auscoder.com/2007-05-18/resto...ootloader.html

XP:
          http://www.scribd.com/doc/429552/Rem...oring-your-MBR

If there is no cd esybcd is the way to go.
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
            Well, if you don't have a windows install cd/dvd...
            God forbid, wouldn't know what to do with it! I don't think I'd even give it away!

Time for a new thread - think of 5 things you can do with a windows install CD

Comment

I am degressing but here is one:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno

4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8TjLIYxP1A

A bit more radical and not really MS, but related. Anyways, that makes two

Comment

ups sorry for the delay

i have windows xp sp2 installed and kubuntu

i have to choice in the boot what system do i want to run!!

i have cd for windows xp sp2 :P

i will see the sugestions but if you know something more say it please !!

im afraid of messing my boot

i dont want to ger rid of this system i only want to use in virtual machine and save some space in the HDD :P

Comment

Well, Fintan and me have a couple of suggestions for your XP disk, simply follow the links

If you do mess up your boot sector (mbr) follow Fintan's instructions in post #2. Simple...

But you will not save any space by having Kubuntu on a virtual drive. It is dynamic, granted, but it will still take up space. The more you use it, the more space it will take up. Still not nearly as much as a hogger as XP I have been told.

So here is my suggestion: wipe your hard disk, install Kubuntu, install VirtualBox and put your XP in there.

Just a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                      Well, Fintan and me have a couple of suggestions for your XP disk, simply follow the links

If you do mess up your boot sector (mbr) follow Fintan's instructions in post #2. Simple...

But you will not save any space by having Kubuntu on a virtual drive. It is dynamic, granted, but it will still take up space. The more you use it, the more space it will take up. Still not nearly as much as a hogger as XP I have been told.

So here is my suggestion: wipe your hard disk, install Kubuntu, install VirtualBox and put your XP in there.

Just a thought...
                      can i repair the boot with windows cd first and after that, delete the partitions of kubuntu with norton partition magic or gparted?

should be in the disk but i cant see it right ?

Comment

Glad to hear it is xp, that saves a lot of agro.

It doesn't matter in which order you "repair" the windows mbr.
                        Since you have the cd it isn't a problem. Just follow the instructions.

I prefer Toads solution though:
                        Unless you need xp for gaming you will be a much happier trucker

If you wish I can give some advice on how to go that path.
                        I am using xp on a virtual machine and flash cs3, dreamweaver cs3 and photoshop cs3 run just as fast and more stable than on a HD install. Plus no mor anti-everything software to bog down my machine.

You may want to invest in some RAM but that is cheap, as are new HD's
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

hello mate... windows win in one importante thing... the interface in many things, i have several games that i want to play too

lets wait a bit more

well when do you mean wipe... is format or repair ?

sorry im portuguese

Comment

Working...
                          X