This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

black screen until login (SOLVED)

instead of showing all the nifty jibberish stuff while kubuntu is booting on my laptop it is just a total black screen until i hit the login page. It also does not show kubuntu logo and the loading bar.

Not a big deal really but it's taking forever to boot up and i'd like to see why

Re: black screen until login

Open Konqueror and navigate to /boot/grub and right-click on menu.lst and select Actions | Edit as Root

Move down to the ## ## End Default Options ## line. The third line down is the kernel line. Delete the quiet and splash options from the end of the line. Save the file and close.

Perform an normal shutdown / restart. You will be able to see all the boot messages.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well I do get to see the text now at bootup which at least gives me something to look at but no kubuntu logo. Once again no big deal but i like learning anyways. Thank you for your reply!

Comment

You can try readding back the splash option to the kernel line.

Comment

Re: black screen until login (SOLVED)

that did it thanks!

Comment

Re: black screen until login (SOLVED)

Happy to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
              Open Konqueror and navigate to /boot/grub and right-click on menu.lst and select Actions | Edit as Root
              Move down to the ## ## End Default Options ## line. The third line down is the kernel line. Delete the quiet and splash options from the end of the line. Save the file and close.
              Perform an normal shutdown / restart. You will be able to see all the boot messages.
              Great tip! Thanks!
              Poseidon GNU/Linux 64 & 32 bits
              GNU/Linux user #451206
              (K)Ubuntu user #21328

Comment

Working...
              X