Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 7.10 hangs up during install on some machines ???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 7.10 hangs up during install on some machines ???

Greetings ALL.

I have Kubuntu 7.10 running on one machine and 6.1 on my laptop - NO problems.
    My neighbor wanted to try it on his older HP so I gave him my OS disc and he hit this "initramfs" prompt when he chose install to Hard Drive from the menu. He got 6.1 running fine.

So I took the disc to another machine with 6.10/WIN98 on it and it loaded fine.
    Then I tried it on a different machine with Wolvix on it and I get the same thing - When I choose Install to Hard Drive from the Kubuntu 7.10 menu it dumps me out to:

BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu7) Built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)_

And I can't figure out why. I don't know enough to understand what it wants to install.

I'v read the other posts about it.
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088800.0

never got resolved but since the disc worked in the other installs it seems unlike the problem.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089165.0

suggested it was a modern hardware conflict but since both the machines that failed were older and worked with 6.1 this also seems not to be the problem. I did try some different boot options. This one also was not resolved.

I searched Google and Ubuntu forum but got zippy.

Any insight into why this is happening and how I can overcome the obstruction to my plans for world domination would be greatly muchyos grasiasz.

Re: Kubuntu 7.10 hangs up during install on some machines

BUMP

I need this too. My good machine burned out a few months ago and I miss my linux. Been using an old emachine and finally cleared all I wanted from the drives.... Stuck on initramfs

Any help out there?

Comment

Re: Kubuntu 7.10 hangs up during install on some machines

If the same CD/DVD works on some machines and not on others, then I would suspect that the system specs on the failed machines are not good enough - particularly RAM. There are other possibilities such as bad CD drives, especially on older machines; that's happened to me.

So let's start with the basics: CPU, RAM, video card for machines that work and for machines that don't work.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Working...
      X