This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

switching to i686 kernel

i may be having a brain fart here, but i can't figure out a quick-and-easy way to uswe adept or some such to switch to the i686 kernel. i'm given to understand that performance on this machine -- a thinkpad t42 -- will improve noticeably if i get rid of the 386 generic. would just as soon use a prebuilt kernel rather than bur one here.

is there an apt-get install command that will fetch and install the i686 kernel and the associated stuff (presume that at least some modules are different with the 686 build)?

thanks!

Re: switching to i686 kernel

open adept and search 686 - get your kernel and modules should follow. If things don't work out you can always boot your old kernel again...

A good file to keep a tab on doing this kind of stuff is your /boot/grub/menu.list - keep a backup copy just in case. Same applies to your /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Let me know how it goes - I've got a T41
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
      open adept and search 686 - get your kernel and modules should follow. If things don't work out you can always boot your old kernel again...

A good file to keep a tab on doing this kind of stuff is your /boot/grub/menu.list - keep a backup copy just in case. Same applies to your /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Let me know how it goes - I've got a T41
      yeah, that's what i thought, too, only no kernel came up. three 686-optimized packages, but no kernel. that's why i was wondering where this thing might be got. i suppose i could put in the CD and just go mining, but i worry that i'll break more than i fix. i'm getting old -- just want stuff to work now<g>.

and yeppers, agree about the backups. i've carried around one xorg.conf since it was Xf86config!

Comment

oops, you're right - I just fired up my craptop. Tried it on Etch before and there I had the kernel et all (even though I'm running a k7 kernel).

Hang on, search for linux-image - but I can only see i3/x86 kernels, no dedicated 686er.
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

hmmm. maybe there isn't a 686 optimized kernel anymore?

Comment

well. appears to be no i686 kernel, so if i want one i'll have to burn one. found this out <a href="http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...html">here</a>.

Comment

They don't call it "i686" any more, AFAIK. It's just "generic". Open your Konsole and enter
              Code:
              uname -a
              Here's what mine says:

Code:
              Linux cville 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Tue Dec 18 05:28:27 UTC 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Comment

Oh, the arrogance of the 64-bitters.

uname -a
                Linux laptop 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Tue Dec 18 08:02:57 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
                For those of us still limited to the lowly 32-bit archetype!
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by linxuser
                  $ uname -a
                  Linux XXX 2.6.17-12-386 #2 Tue Feb 12 01:14:09 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

So I think that means a 386 kernel running on a 686 machine.
                  Yes, you can install the generic (686) kernel by installing 'linux-generic' package.
                  (This won't remove your existing kernel, you'll be able to select the kernel you wish to boot in the GRUB boot menu)

Comment

Originally posted by linxuser
                    Hey, also to dep and I know your post was from January but I'll include this here. I was able to
                    get -686 kernels just the other day but I was reinstalling from dapper 6.06 and using the
                    http://ar.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ as repository site. Don't know why. Don't know if they're
                    in the other repositories either. I had to search for em using linux -686 or kernel -686 but they
                    showed up in synaptic so I grabbed em. I'm guessing that ar means Argentina but correct me if
                    I'm wrong. I'd like to know.
                    There are packages for -i686 kernels in the repos. However, for newer releases these are just 'dummy' metapackages that actually install the -generic kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by dep
                      is there an apt-get install command that will fetch and install the i686 kernel and the associated stuff (presume that at least some modules are different with the 686 build)?
                      Code:
                      sudo apt-get install linux-generic
                      will fetch you everything you need to run the generic (686) kernel (plus things you might not need, like the restricted modules).

After installation, choose the generic kernel from the grub boot menu when you boot.

Comment

Working...
                      X