X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE4 and kstartupconfig4

I just went through this http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-4.0.php

and when I attempt to start KDE4 its giving me error.
    "Could not start kstartupconfig4..."

anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Re: KDE4 and kstartupconfig4

just doing it now myself on a TP41
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

and it worked 8)

What I did:

1) add deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu gutsy main to my /etc/apt/sources.list

EDIT: Forgot the "sudo apt-get update" here

2) sudo apt-get install upgrade

3) sudo apt-get install kde4-core

4) sudo apt-get install upgrade

5) logged out, selected session type KDE4 in KDM

EDIT: a "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" got even more downloads - currently on KDE3 and running stable...

Right, off exploring now...

Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thanks for your response

That is basically the same thing i did. but i still get the error message "Could not start kstartupconfig4. Check your installation"

anyone seen this message?

Comment

Well this is no help but I did see someone post that error on the kde forums and there are still no solutions posted.

I'm seeing this with a lot of other problems too.

Comment

I'm afraid i'm no help either, i've just installed HH on hda5, which unfortunately buggered up my Gutsy install on hda2, so i've just had to re-install that.... .... at least the HH shows up on the Grub list, but if i try to boot it i get the same error as you.

On the bright side, at least i've got a nice, shiny, 7.10 install (again) now.

Comment

Originally posted by hippo
              Thanks for your response

That is basically the same thing i did. but i still get the error message "Could not start kstartupconfig4. Check your installation"

anyone seen this message?
              This is gonna seem odd, but if you have NessusClient installed, remove it. Found that from another website (cant think of where) and works like a charm.

namopereht

Comment

Ok. tried this on a fresh install and confirmed, at least on 2 of my machines. To recreate install hardy with kde 3.5.9, then install kde4 alongside it. All works fine. then install NessusClient 3.2.0 (from nessus.org) under kde3. All further logins to kde4 will give the error. Uninstalling NessusClient will restore ability to run kde4. If this can be confirmed by someone else to be more than operator error then perhaps a bug report should be filed? I am not a developer by any stretch of the word and have no idea where to begin on fixing this, but will try to help in any way I can.

namopereht

edit: to correct NessusClient version.

Comment

Hello. I had the same problem with nessus installed. After i have uninstalled nessus kde4 worked. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by namopereht
                    Ok. tried this on a fresh install and confirmed, at least on 2 of my machines. To recreate install hardy with kde 3.5.9, then install kde4 alongside it. All works fine. then install NessusClient 3.2.0 (from nessus.org) under kde3. All further logins to kde4 will give the error. Uninstalling NessusClient will restore ability to run kde4. If this can be confirmed by someone else to be more than operator error then perhaps a bug report should be filed? I am not a developer by any stretch of the word and have no idea where to begin on fixing this, but will try to help in any way I can.

namopereht

edit: to correct NessusClient version.
                    Ok so I'm a newb with *nix...I've played around here and there and of course Googled different commands needed but, can I get some help on how to uninstall NessusClient?

Comment

Working...
                    X