This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gutsy KDE login takes a long time

The boot speed itself is fine, but when I get to the login screen and enter my password, it spends a good minute just displaying the beige background with nothing else. This problem occurs with or without compiz enabled.

I have a Dell Dimension 9150, a very speedy pc.

Anyone else have this problem or know of a fix?
    Main system: Dell Studio XPS 8100 with Kubuntu 10.04<br />Main system: Dell Inspiron 1720 with Ubuntu 10.04<br />Second system: Acer Aspire 1500 with Ubuntu 10.04<br />Third system: Dell Dimension Desktop with Kubuntu 10.04 and Windows Vista<br />Fourth system: Dell Inspiron with Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows Vista

Re: Gutsy KDE login takes a long time

I haven't heard of this, but here's something to try. Instead of logging in on the KDE screen, you could Ctrl-Alt-F1 to a text prompt. Log in there, and see how long it takes to give you back the prompt. If it's a long time, then the problem is in the basic system, but if it's really fast, then we'll know it is KDM/KDE related.

Once you have your answer in the text mode, you can do
    Code:
    startx
    to start the X server.

Comment

Re: Gutsy KDE login takes a long time

I just did what you've said, Dibl and yes it was pretty fast. So, what could this be?
      Main system: Dell Studio XPS 8100 with Kubuntu 10.04<br />Main system: Dell Inspiron 1720 with Ubuntu 10.04<br />Second system: Acer Aspire 1500 with Ubuntu 10.04<br />Third system: Dell Dimension Desktop with Kubuntu 10.04 and Windows Vista<br />Fourth system: Dell Inspiron with Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows Vista

Comment

Working...
      X