X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For reference Grub 21 error

just a hint to another noob

background alert.

i had a dell computer given to me with a 80 gig drive. so I added my 30 gig drive to the system as a slave and windows recognized it.

so when i decided to set up for dual boot, QTparted on the live disk saw it and partioned it and i insltaled 7.10 on the second drive sdb.

install went good but i got Grub error 21

It drove me nutz till I found in bios that my second drive was not setup. oops

Re: For reference Grub 21 error

Just sharing from my own bit of experience. Did a dual-boot install of 8.10 alongside WinXP/sp3 and ran into the same error as "smeghead67", here. (no offense!) :-X

The problem wasn't Windows or anything that Windows does.

The problem wasn't with GRUB... at least not entirely.

It seems the BIOS was re-arranging my devices; without changing any connections. The first hdd was always (hd0), but the next hdd was being moved around. (sometimes hd3, sometimes hd2, sometimes hd6)

I had to change my BIOS to remove all other boot options; switched off USB, superfloppy and other media that could be mistaken for /dev/sdX. Double-checked for 'phantom' drives, usually in Standard Settings; that means empty drive connections--which have no drive--are actually set as: Not Installed (leaving it as Auto may not be good enough)

ATAPI/SATA CD-ROM should not interfere, so you can leave it in the boot order. I can't say the same for USB/external CD-ROM.

At least for now, those have to be turned off. Eventually, I might find a way to open-up my alternate boot sources. All I know is, Kubuntu AMD64 edition is now working perfectly!
    [hr]<br />System#1: Kubuntu 9.04 AMD64 (KDE 4.2)<br />AMD Athlon64-2x 4600+, 4GB DDR2-PC6400<br />nVidia GeForce 7300 / 512MB<br />System#2: Kubuntu 9.04 (KDE 4.2)<br />AMD Sempron 3300+, 2GB DDR-PC3200<br />

Comment

Working...
    X