This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Grub and Lilo

Congrats! Isn't it a great feeling when you figure out a problem? Come on, be honest - did you get up and do a happy dance?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

of course i was very happy!!!!!!!!!! I still am, now all i have to do is create the initrd image, i have done that one before, it's no fun though and takes a long time...well, all for the sake of learning 8)

Comment

One could (almost) compare using Linux to being bi-polar: the user in both cases will experience extreme highs and lows!
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Congratulations on getting this! There is no better feeling!

Afterthoughts from the peanut gallery - -

The GRUB image files and Stage_1 and Stage_2 (also _1.5) were and are still are already in Kubuntu root and they are installed there and the MBR of hd0 (and _1.5 in the sectors following and then Stage_2 in (hd0,0)).
          All that is (ie, was) needed is a menu.lst entry for Slackware in the Kubuntu menu on sda1=(hd0,0). And that was done and now again using symlinks to the kernel /vmlinuz. So, the reason this worked is confusing. Fact is, we could have installed the GRUB you already have (in Kubuntu) to the Slackware root. But since we are not chainloading or have some other reason, no image files are even needed in the Slackware root.

I thought Slackware came with LILO installed to the root? In which case, the chainload will work (if LILO is, in fact, set up properly in sdb1).

Now, if in fact another GRUB is setup properly in sdb1, you should be able to chainload it from your Kubuntu GRUB as follows (this will NOT hurt anything!)

In Kubuntu menu.lst include yet another boot entry for Slackware as follows:

title Slackware booted by GRUB chainloading GRUB
          root (hd1,0)
          chainloader +1

(Edit as root and File>Save, File>Quit).

That will tell you what Slackware did with the "new" and extra GRUB is had you install in (hd1,0).

The solution is great! No better feeling that a system that boots all your OSs! But the reasoning for it is even more important for times (in the near, near future) when you again modify your system, or do a disk wipe and fresh install, or add more OSs, etc.

Finally, I see no need to create any initrd file . . . ?

BTW, everything I said here assumes that the GRUB in Kubuntu (hd0,0) is the one controlling the booing at start-up, which sounds right from your description (of modifying Kubuntu's menu.lst etc.).

(You may post this to the Slackware guys if you wish.)
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

thing is that i DO have to create an initrd image, because the kernel i am using is called "huge", and that is the install kernel wich is not meant for everyday use. It also comes by default with another one called generic, but, i have to create the image to work with it.

lilo doesn't come installed to root, it gives you the choice where to install it, mbr, root or floppy.

Originally posted by Snowhog
            One could (almost) compare using Linux to being bi-polar: the user in both cases will experience extreme highs and lows!
            That is completely true, i istalled a gui script for my GRUB called grubed,but i hate the colors, i unistalled it but the color stayed, now i have to look for where the colors are in and delete them by hand...

another day, another task

by the way, using adobe flash plugin made my slackware very unstable, have to delete that as well

But screwing up is part of the learning process

Comment

I realize this thread is quite dated. I hope this issue has been solved elsewhere but just in case I believe I have the proper solution to the original question. I just set up a computer with Ultimate then Kubuntu 8.10, then Absolute 12.2.1 and of course I ran into the same problem. I wanted to keep Grub as I already had two working OS's and didn't want to take the chance of messing them up. Grub's menu.lst file was now on the partition with the second installed OS Kubuntu.
              Boy am I glad I didn't find this forum thread first LOL. I likely would have given up.

juantovarm when you initially had grub installed and booting up Kubuntu ok on sda1 all you had to do was add the following to your menu.lst file to boot Slackware from sdb1:

title Slackware
              root (hd1,0)
              kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1 ro

This worked fine for me and it seems to be the same situation.

I did not need to install Lilo anywhere.

Comment

Well, you are lucky. Did you read this thread? He tried that, but it didn't go straightaway.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                X