X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Upgrade from Feisty claims no internet connection

Originally posted by cdupree
    Snowhog, many thanks for all your time. You've solved part of my problem.
    You are more than welcome. I'm sure that you will find or receive the solution in short order, if not via ComCast, then here in the Forum. Don't give up hope!
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Does entering the command
      Code:
      cat /etc/network/interfaces
      in Konsole look anything like the instructions gilf posted? Not only do they pertain to wireless connections, but also to ethernet (I know because I fixed my connection problem with them a few days ago). The output should look something like
      auto lo
      iface lo inet loopback
      address 127.0.0.1
      netmask 255.0.0.0

auto eth0
      iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
      iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth2
      iface eth2 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
      iface wlan0 inet dhcp

auto ath0
      #iface ath0 inet dhcp
      If the results don't look like the above, run the command
      Code:
      kdesudo kate /etc/network/interfaces
      and replace everything in it with gilf's suggestion. Then, reboot and see if you get a connection. If not, make sure your ethernet device is set to "Automatic: dhcp" and to "Activate when computer starts" in Network Settings. Click the "Enable Interface" button if it's disabled, and see if it connects. If it does, but you still cannot access the internet, the problem is more than likely (from my experience anyway) with your firewall or video driver. Save and exit everything, open Konsole and enter the following command:
      Code:
      sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
      That will kill KDM and take you to the terminal. Once that's finished, try to update (sudo apt-get update), and if it does, your problem's very likely with your video driver. You can check it by reconfiguring your xorg.conf to use the "vesa" driver instead of the proper one for your card (use the command "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", select "vesa" as your video driver, and just choose the defaults for everything else; you may want to backup your configuration first with the command "sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak"). Then, to return to the GUI, enter either
      Code:
      startx
      or
      Code:
      sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
      They should both work, but if only one will, it'll be the second command.

If you still can't connect, you may want to try reconfiguring Firestarter. It's possible you began its configuration, but didn't finish, or that its configuration became corrupted. Just reconfigure it and make sure it's set to allow DHCP; reboot, and try to connect again (make sure Network Settings shows you're connected).
      Asus G1S-X3:
      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Hi integr8e. thanks for your post.

When I cat /etc/network/interfaces it looks exactly like yours except that the order of ath0 and wlan0 are reversed, and the line under ath0 does NOT begin with a pound sign in mine.

I tried to follow Snowhog's suggestion of setting Routes to 0.0.0.0 but it complains that that is illegal.

Firestarter complains about an improper configuration file when I attempt to start it, but I don't seem to have a makefile in the firestarter directory. Is it possible to reconfigure without doing a make?

Finally, my video driver didn't give me any problems with Feisty Fawn, and I was on the net after converting to GG long enough to download 1100-some updates after the upgrade. I think I saw an error at the end of that process. At that point I tried sudo apt-get update but got nothing, so I rebooted and since then I'm off the net.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks again to both of you for all the help. It may be a bit of a pain to get everything going but it'll be worth it. I converted to Kubuntu from XP in June and I've been very happy to get back to a real OS.
        Kubuntu #19517 (but of course I am not a number, I am a free man!)

Comment

Dunno if this adds any data, but I have a dual-boot system, Ubuntu and Kubuntu. Ubuntu still boots fine and gets on the net fine. Kubuntu boots fine but doesn't see the net. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
          Kubuntu #19517 (but of course I am not a number, I am a free man!)

Comment

Check out the ADSLPPPoE Howto and see if that helps.

Also, compare everything in your /etc/network directories in both U* and Kubuntu.
            Asus G1S-X3:
            Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
            X