This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install program gutsy does not discover harddisk in medion pc

I have installed quite a few different computers with gutsy and previous versions of kubuntu. Many problems were to overcome, but never before I encountered this one.
    I installed gutsy x64 using the life dvd. It went well untill it came to the partitioning. The install program could not find any harddisk! A new window appeared stating: sorry the program "ubiquity"closed unexpectedly.
    The computer is a Medion MD 8822 Entertainment PC with intel dual cure 64 bits processor.
    The harddisk is 320 GB of unknown brand. In the bios everything is o.k. The sata/raid controller is set IDE, the disk is visible in the bios and Vista runs on it.
    What the hack is wrong?
    Johan

Re: Install program gutsy does not discover harddisk in medion pc

In the BIOS you should have multiple setting for the SATA/RAID controller. I am not familiar with that particular machine but on the Lenovo T60 you must run the SATA controller in "Compatibility" mode for XP to see it and Linux sees it in any mode. I suspect that the BIOS setting will be the best starting point with tracking down the chipset for the controller and making sure it is supported under Kubuntu to be the best next step.

Comment

Not sure if this will help but I ran into the same problem installing Edubuntu for the children. What I did was to create a partition under Windows and reboot. That way, the installer finally was able to see the partition and install unto it. I was able to then create smaller partitions. Hope this helps.
      Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

Another person recently found that changing the selection jumper on the hard drive itself from "Master" to "CS" caused it to be recognized by the Kubuntu installer.

Comment

I have found half a solution, by changing the settings of the sata/raid controller from ide to raid. There is only one physical disk, but in this config kubuntu sees the disk and is properly installed. Even the bootloader is completely correct. It allows me to start up vista. So sad after 2 seconds the start up crashes. So I switched the controller back to ide. Grub starts normally and so does vista, but now kubuntu hangs on the start up screen.
          This is too complicated a dual boot for my friend who is a newbe under the hood.
          What I could try is to reinstall vista in raid mode, but since it is an oem package I am reluctant to do so. Maybe I should try the jumper trick first
          Johan

Comment

Working...
          X