This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not going to Gutsy

I had a fine Feisty installation. It was humming along just beautifully. Then I upgraded to Gutsy and spent weeks trying to get my screen resolution usable again. Finally gave up and reinstalled Feisty. I think I may just pass on this release.

In the unlikely event that my experience may be of use to you, here's what happened...

I run a Nvidia GeForce 5700 LE and display on a 52" Mitsubishi WD-52525 HDTV. The resolution that has worked best in this situation was 1280x720 @ 60hz. XP does this easily. Feisty does it with very little fuss. I could not get Gutsy to do it to save my life. I tried Envy (GREAT utility, but of no use here). I tried creating my own modelines using powerstrip. I tried crafting the entire xorg.conf by hand. I never got a resolution I could use. I couldn't get 1280x720 out of it under any scenario.

Finally, I have come to suspect that the new kernel just doesn't support this anymore. Heck, maybe it's not supposed to and its only by luck it works with Feisty. Whatever the cause, it's keeping me from upgrading. Now I'm wondering if I'll be able to upgrade to 08.04 when the time comes. Time will tell.

Re: Not going to Gutsy

Hi ephonk
    I have just started using Kubuntu and I am unable to display on my TV as I was able to with XP. I am using a simple svideo cable. Is this the same problem that you had and is it not possible? I have a 47 inch Phillips LCD. Please tell me there is a way around this

Comment

@ephonk, did you try running nvidia-settings -- did it not permit the resolution you wanted?

Comment

I am interested in this also, have you tried NVIDIA's own driver? Since I'm not running on Kubuntu with NVIDIA I don't know which driver they use

Granted, the above doesn't take to kernel updates and has to be reinstalled for every new kernel, but that is bearable if it results in a working display.
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Here's the best way to install the proprietary Nvidia or ATI drivers:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086232.0

For Nvidia, after you have installed Envy and run it, and restarted the X server, you need to do two things in the Konsole:

Code:
          sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
          and, after restarting the X server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace,
          Code:
          sudo nvidia-settings
          This second command runs the nvidia-settings utility in Super User mode, so the resoltion and/or monitor settings that you make can be saved into the xorg.conf file.

After running it once in Super User mode, you should only run it as a user, unless you intend to modify the default settings.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Wow, suddenly a ton of replies to something I posted back in October!

I went back to XP and haven't tried again. Before I quit I believe I tried most everything mentioned here. Mostly. I don't recall clearly - it was awhile ago.

Coincidently, I've been thinking about building up a new machine. The old one is too slow to run Half-Life 2 and I've got the Orange Box burning a hole on the shelf. My plan is to reload Linux on the current machine and retire it to the basement as a file-server, which shouldn't be a problem with a normal monitor. Then hopefully dual-boot the new machine in the media center. So I will be trying again someday soon...

Comment

Ok Guys, now you have the newboy at a complete disadvantage. Can I display the PC running on kubuntu on the tv via svideo? I have an NVIDEA GeForce FX5500. I know its picky but I prefer to watch my movies on the big screen This used to be no problem before I came over from the dark side.

Comment

Originally posted by Newboy
                Can I display the PC running on kubuntu on the tv via svideo? I have an NVIDEA GeForce FX5500.
                I'm sure that's a "YES" -- the hardware looks good. I haven't configured xorg.conf for an S-Video output, but I'm sure a search on this or Ubuntu Forum will turn up the magic xorg.conf line(s) that you need in the "monitor" and or "screen" stanzas.

Comment

:P Heck with s-video once I get a TV with HDMI input i'll just use that.. DVI-->HDMI output on my 8800 GT, works great with 22" widescreen comp screen.

Comment

Great news!!

Just tried Hardy and it works beautifully with the HDTV & the nvidia drivers! I'm sooooo happy...

Thank you you magnificent Herons, whoever you are...

Comment

Working...
                    X