Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Compiz Fusion default in Kubuntu Gutsy?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Compiz Fusion default in Kubuntu Gutsy?

I have two systems. One running Ubuntu Gutsy and the other Kubuntu Gutsy. What can I say. Each one has it's good and bad issues. Each was a clean install and not an upgrade. Ubuntu asked me if I wanted to use restricted drivers and I said yes. Compiz Fusion installed automatically.
    Kubuntu did not ask and I had to enable restricted Nvidia drivers after install. I do not see any settings for Compriz Fusion. Do I need to run Adept and install Compriz?

Thanks

Ubuntu Kubuntu
    Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 ECS P965T-A
    E6300 E2180
    2GB Mem 1GB Mem
    200GB SATA 300GB & 160GB SATA
    DVD SATA Writer PATA DVD-ROM
    7900GTS 6600GT

Re: Is Compiz Fusion default in Kubuntu Gutsy?

Originally posted by pm124493

Do I need to run Adept and install Compiz?
    YES, for Kubuntu, but NO for Ubuntu.

Compiz is installed by default in Ubuntu, but not in Kubuntu. I guess the Compiz-KDE integration is a little less stable, although it's running fine on my Nvidia 7900GS.

After you install the compiz packages, including the compizsettings-manager and Emerald, open the Konsole and (assuming you have already checked glxgears and it runs) you can simply enter
    Code:
    compiz
    That should enable the "advanced effects". You'll note that the console does not "release" -- the process does not complete and give you back a prompt.

Next, and leaving your Konsole window open, restart your system. When it comes up, compiz should start automatically, and you'll observe an empty console window that you can close if you wish.

Now you should be able to press KMenu and see a new "Settings" item, and in that "Advanced Desktop Effects Manager", which leads to your compiz settings window. And therein lies a whole 'nother world of choices.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      [
      After you install the compiz packages, including the compizsettings-manager and Emerald, open the Konsole and (assuming you have already checked glxgears and it runs) you can simply enter
      Code:
      compiz
      AHA Thanks!

Comment

I've got to say this is the best explanation of how to get Compiz working in Kubuntu I have read.

Thank you! Why can't the other guides actually be written to guide someone who's never done it before?

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by Bongo5HH
          I've got to say this is the best explanation of how to get Compiz working in Kubuntu I have read.

Thank you! Why can't the other guides actually be written to guide someone who's never done it before?
          Thank you Kev, that is very nice of you to say! And I'm glad it worked, too. 8)

Comment

Thanks dibl that worked for me as well.

Comment

Working...
            X