X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gutsy Gibbon Live CD Install Hangs on Parallels 3.0

Update - Jan 24, 2008

Still having the problem using the physical CD sent to me by Canonical. Would sure love to have this solved.

+++++++

I'm trying to install a VM under Parallels 3 (latest build) on my MacBook Pro. It starts the boot process, but never gets past "Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)"

This happens whether I tell Parallels to use the disk image or the actual Live CD I created from the downloaded image.

Any thoughts?

Re: Gutsy Gibbon Live CD Install Hangs on Parallels 3.0

I'm trying to do the same thing (install kubuntu 7.10 on Parallels 3.0) and see it stuck on the same screen.

I did notice that I could switch away from the console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and it seems to be a functional shell running, so I did some additional investigation, but still can't figure it all out. Here's what I noticed:

running startx manually brings up the x server for a moment (I see the blue background and the spinning wheel mouse pointer) before it exits back to the command line. I see the line

(EE) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable

which is the only error. After some googling I run sudo vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add the lines:

Code:
    Section "ServerFlags"
     Option "AIGLX" "false"
    EndSection
    which gets rid of the error message, but doesn't get me any farther (X still quits suddenly)
    Then I find out about $(HOME)/.xsession-errors which contains the following:

XSession: X session started for ubuntu at Sun Nov 11 12:08:27 UTC 2007
    startkde: Starting up...
    startkde: kpersonalizer not found! Please install to properly configure your user.
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-9387' to 'kded'
    kded: ERROR: Communication problem with kded, it probably crashed.
    startkde: Shutting down...
    klauncher: Exiting on signal 1
    startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
    startkde: Done.

Upon inserting some printf's, er, echo commands into startkde, I discovered the core was being dumped by the command ksplash --nodcop. But changing it to ksplashsimple didn't fix anything except get rid of the error message. I am officially lost trying to diagnose the other problems with kpersonalizer or kded, but that's what I'm hoping someone here can help with.

Anyone?

Comment

Working...
    X