This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proliferating Kubuntu Kernel Versions at Startup

After installing Gutsy Gibbon for testing, I now have a plethora of kernel versions to choose from at start up. The line-up includes very old kernel versions long discarded as well as my latest updates to the OS.

I know how to modify menu.list to make the old stuff not display. But the kernels are still there taking up disk space. How can I erase/eliminate old kernels that are no longer used without damaging my operating kernels?

Uninstall using adept or synaptic?

Any ideas - anyone, please?

Re: Proliferating Kubuntu Kernel Versions at Startup

I usually just keep the actual one and the previous as backup.

I uninstall them with adept.

Javier.

Comment

And so do I - at least I try to.

I found two ways of cutting back on the number of kernel versions shown at startup.

The file /boot/grub/menu.lst allows to control the number of kernel versions in the startup menu:

"
      ## controls how many kernels should be put into the menu.lst
      ## only counts the first occurence of a kernel, not the
      ## alternative kernel options
      ## e.g. howmany=all
      ## howmany=7
      # howmany=all"

It is also possible to edit that file and comment out the unwanted kernel options. It cuts down on the length of the menu list, but does not eliminate the actual kernel.
      Unwanted kernels must be uninstalled with Adept or Synaptic as you said.

Since I installed Gutsy Gibbon as a test but want to run Feisty as my working OS, I would like to have Feisty appear in the number one spot on the menu. Right now Gutsy is there.

I was tempted to cut and paste Feisty to the number one spot in menu.lst. Decided not to because I do not know whether it would prevent booting.

Does anyone know?

Comment

Yes, It will work fine if you change the order. Alternatively, you could change the "default 0" line to specify your Feisty kernel.

Just make a copy of menu.lst in case you totally hose it up, then edit to your hearts content. If you do break it, you can always boot from a live CD and put your copy back in place of the broken version.

-J
        Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Will use it to experiment as soon as I find time.

Comment

As Javier said. You only need to keep the current and previous versions. Remove the rest using adept. They are wasting space and at some point, may hose a compile.

Comment

This may be a naive question:
              Can I remove them via Adept/Synaptic from the most recent version or do I have to go to the individual versions?

I removed some of the older kernel versions while operating from the most recent but I still must have some remnants of older versions left. The reason is that I sometimes have version 2.6.xx-yy i386 and version 2.6.xx-yy generic and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by PJJ
                This may be a naive question:
                Can I remove them via Adept/Synaptic from the most recent version or do I have to go to the individual versions?
                You can remove all redundant kernel versions running the latest kernel

I removed some of the older kernel versions while operating from the most recent but I still must have some remnants of older versions left. The reason is that I sometimes have version 2.6.xx-yy i386 and version 2.6.xx-yy generic and so on.
                If you're using the generic kernel, you can remove the i386 kernel images as well (i386 kernel versions are for older processors, while generic kernels are optimized for newer processors)

Comment

exactly how did you get gusty i tried the to change the sources file but when went to fetch updates it wouldn't load the headers

Comment

After you change the sources:

Code:
                    sudo apt-get update
                    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                    Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

I did it the long way: Change the URLs repositories (in Synaptic) by manually replacing 'feisty' with 'gutsy'. Adept does not give the individual repositories.
                      Then update the OS with Adept.

Or better:

Command line:

sudo aptitude autoclean ( to clean up any left over packages, orphans and so); followed by

sudo aptitude upgrade, and

sudo aptitude dist-upgrade as stated in the previous post.

It is said that one does not need "sudo" but I do. Without it the command won't work.

Once you have your repositories switched over manually to 'gutsy', you will get the auto-update reminders for Gutsy..

Comment

So could someone tell a noob exactly how to get rid of the older kernels that I do not wish to keep. Thanks.

Comment

run Adept and remove packages like linux-image-2.6.20-16 etc and let only one or two, for example linux-image-22-6.

Comment

Working...
                          X