This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to configure display on 7.04 ?

I have a fairly new machine, but I couldn't get anything but Kubuntu 7.04 to install (didn't have a 7.10 CD or DVD, & didn't want to wait to download the image). While Kubuntu boots and I can do normal things, I can't get the display configured right. Every time I mess with it, I manage to break it, and have to redo xorg.conf. How can I configure it the way I want it?

Here's my hardware:
    XTX GeForce 9800 GTX Black Edition video card
    Intel E8500 Core 2 Duo processor
    ASUS P5E3 WS Pro motherboard
    4 GB DDR3 PC10666 RAM
    hard drive, built-in sound, etc., other stuff that's probably not relevant to display issues.

The monitor is an NEC AccuSync 120, last of the great 21" CRT monitors.

Accordingly, I'd really like to have my desktop at 1600x1200 resolution, with a 72 or 75 Hz refresh rate. The hardware is perfectly capable of doing so - it's how it's configured in Windows XP - but I can't get Kubuntu to do it. The most it will do is change resolution to 1600x1200, but at a painful, eyeball-searing 60 Hz refresh rate. I can't even get the option to change it to something higher.

I also tried selecting my monitor from the list of hardware. Though it's listed, doing so causes an unreadable screen on the next startup, and I'm back to restoring xorg.conf again. The only thing that doesn't cause crashes so far is using the default VESA driver.

Would it help to install the NVidia Linux drivers? I haven't gotten around to doing that yet, as I've been more concerned with the fact that nothing newer than Kubuntu 7.04 will install. However, it's probably worth a try, and would be educational.

Re: How to configure display on 7.04 ?

HOWTO: Install and use the Envy script installer for video drivers

Before going this route, have you enabled the Restricted repository in Adept Manager?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: How to configure display on 7.04 ?

Yes, the Restricted, as well as Universe and multiverse, repositories are enabled.

However, the method in that linked HOWTO doesn't work. When I try to install the .deb package for Envy Legacy (necessary since I'm running Kubuntu 7.04, not 7.10 or newer), I get a string of error messages about missing packages. I can't show you what packages, because the installer window won't let me copy & paste the text. I'm stuck.

Comment

Working...
      X