This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing widescreen in Kubuntu 64-bit 7.04

My girlfriend's computer, based on an AMD Athlon X2 6000+ dual-core CPU, has an LG 226WTQ display. This is a 22" wide-format LCD monitor, with 1680x1050 resolution.

I've tried the Live DVD version of Kubuntu 7.04, and it's not going well. I can't figure out how to get it to use the display properly. I tried switching to the "Generic 1680x1050 flat panel" option under Settings->Display hardware, but upon restarting Xserver as instructed, the display is unusable. It's really weird looking, like several overlapping, low-res and distorted versions of the login screen, using only the upper 1/2 or so of the screen. Weirder still, by moving the mouse I can scroll around a good amount left and right, as if the lit portion of the display were a window on a very wide, but short desktop.

I can barely see the login box, but it isn't usable. I can't get a screenshot since it's so messed up that I can't mount any writeable drives, even if I could log in (what is the login info for the Live DVD version of Kubuntu anyway?).

How do I make Kubuntu use the monitor properly? If I don't do anything, it looks awful - it's a standard 4:3 image stretched horizontally to fill the screen.

Does it matter whether I use the analog (VGA) input on the monitor, instead of the DVI input? It has both inputs, but it's currently hooked up via DVI.

Re: Doing widescreen in Kubuntu 64-bit 7.04

Hmm - here 1680x1050 is working.

With the Feisty i did need to reconfigure xserver-xorg:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    It is a good idea to backup the /etc/X11/xorg.conf before you reconfigure it.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
    X