X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interlaced desktop resolutions?

Hey everyone!

I've recently rearranged my desk a bit, and instead of running linux as my secondary pc, im using it side by side with my primary. Only problem is, my primary display is a 1080i HDTV. Now on Vista, the CCC for my ATI card allowed me to run 1920 X 1080 at 30i refresh. Obviously, being an nVidia card, this wouldn't work with CCC, not to mention thats a windows executable. So I was wondering if its possible to convince KDE to run an interlaced resolution.

I'm running some type of nVidia card on my linux box, no idea what kind speicfically. My TV is a 27" Olevia if thats any help. Also, its using a DVI to HDMI adapter cable to get the video to the monitor.

Re: Interlaced desktop resolutions?

My only guess would be, if you are running a nvidia card is install nvidia-glx-new library file and nvidia-settings. this is if you are running a later nvidia card.

I run a 8400GS under Hardy Heron

Run

Code:
    sudo nvidia-setings
    under a console if it isn't added into your menu

you should be able to change resolutions there and then save to your xorg.conf file

Comment

Cool, thanks I'll try this in the morning.

Comment

If you go to a console and type

Code:
        lspci
        You should get a list of devices you currently have isntalled, in that list you should find nvidia graphics and the model number. Use that to determine which driver you should install.

If your graphics card is recent as in an FX card then you will use the new drivers, if not and it is a TNT2 or mach type card then the legacy driver is the one for you.

There is an option in the Kubuntu menu, if you follow this path

K-Menu => System => Hardware Drivers

you have an option to install drivers if it has detected the hardware, put a tick in enable and it will isntall it for you. Do a restart and then install

nvidia-settings in adept or go to a console and type

Code:
        sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings

Comment

Thank you both!

I installed nvidia-settings through Konsole, and it warned me I'd have to uninstall nvidia-glx-new. When I rebooted X server, the system froze. When I rebooted completely, linux booted into Konsole. I figured I broke the graphics drivers, so I reinstalled nvidia-glx-new from Konsole (which of course uninstalled nvidia-settings) and rebooted. The system rebooted normally, and is now functioning fine. However both your ideas incorporated nvidia-settings, so I'm not sure how to proceed.

Comment

you have to ensure that the driver is in use and that when you run nvidia-settings that you run it with the kdesu from end in console rather than sudo, sorry about that.

Code:
            kdesu nvidia-settings
            change your resolution, refresh rate (my guess is 60hz), hit apply, then click save to x configuration file

Comment

Oh, now i get it.

OK, I opened nvidia-settings as root, and now I'm even more confused. My display is currently on 1280 X 720, at 60 Hz. However nvidia-settings reads the max-resolution of this monitor as 1024 X 768. Naturally, it won't let me go any higher. And I can't select a refresh rate below 60 hz.

Comment

Would clicking detect displays help?

I'm not quite sure on this one because I haven't had the specific problem you are having

Comment

Tried that, no difference.

Comment

When setting up your screen using the KDE screen, There is a section for selecting your monitor, Is your monitor/TV in the list of supported screens.

If not, you may have to find a way of configuring your xorg.conf file manually to support your screens resolution capabilities.

I've done a small search and had this list you could perhaps look into

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...G=Search&meta=

Comment

Working...
                    X