Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost Sound Support After Installing Realtek Drivers...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost Sound Support After Installing Realtek Drivers...

Hello,

I am new here and this is my very first post!

After installing the Realtek drivers for my onboard sound card, it seems I have lost my sound system completely. Also, over the Kmixer icon in the KDE system tray, there is red circle with a white 'X' in it and it says 'Mixer cannot be found' when I hover the mouse over it.

My system is build-it-yourself, by the way, and I have a Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H microatx motherboard.

Help!

Re: Lost Sound Support After Installing Realtek Drivers...

Obvious question is, did you have working sound before you did the driver install? Next question would be, have your restarted your system since you installed the driver?

Welcome to the Kubuntu Forums.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Obvious question is, did you have working sound before you did the driver install? Next question would be, have your restarted your system since you installed the driver?
      Yes to both questions.

Comment

Given the "yes" to the first question, I am forced to ask: 'Why then, did you install a sound driver when you had working sound?' What were you attempting to gain that you didn't already have?

Comment

Given the "yes" to the first question, I am forced to ask: 'Why then, did you install a sound driver when you had working sound?' What were you attempting to gain that you didn't already have?
          Umm, I don't know. I just wanted to experiment, I guess, but maybe you're right: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" LoL.

How do I fix it? Hee hee.

Comment

Nothing wrong with experimentation - if you also are prepared for the unintended consequences.

How did you install the driver?

Comment

How did you install the driver?
              I used the automated install program that came with the driver.

Comment

Does the automated install 'program' also include a means to 'unistall' it? Is there any documentation that came with the installer? Where did you obtain this program? (web sight URL)

Comment

Does the automated install 'program' also include a means to 'unistall' it? Is there any documentation that came with the installer? Where did you obtain this program? (web sight URL)
                  I do not believe it has an uninstall program. The documentation is in the tar file as well. You can download the tar file from this page:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false

Comment

I'm downloading the file. I'll post back after I've examined it.

Comment

Did you following the installation instructions exactly?

Comment

Did you following the installation instructions exactly?
                        No, not exactly. I did not install manually for Ubuntu; that's because I tried to install manually in Hardy and it did not work with the manual configuration, but the automated installation worked fine in Hardy, so I figured the same thing would happen in Gutsy and I decided not to waste my time. Looks like I ended up wasting my time, though, anyway, eh? I did edit modules.conf just like it said in both Gutsy and Hardy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Nice Guy
                          I did edit modules.conf just like it said in both Gutsy and Hardy.
                          It's more problematic to come up with a solution when the installation wasn't "by the book" so to speak. That said, reedit /etc/modprobe.conf and remove what you added, which should be:

# ALSA portion
                          alias char-major-116 snd
                          alias snd-card-0 snd-xxxx
                          # OSS/Free portion
                          alias char-major-14 soundcore
                          alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
                          # card #1
                          alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
                          alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
                          alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
                          alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
                          alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
                          Save, then perform a normal shutdown and reboot. Report back.

Comment

Ok, but I am not exactly at the place where I can sit in front of my computer at this hour. This will have to wait a few more hours. Catch ya later!

Comment

Ok, I am now at home.

Done! The file, /etc/modules, has been put back the way it was, however, this did not fix the problem. Was it suppose to?

Comment

Working...
                              X