This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nvidia driver fail to log gui

hi iwas trying to install nvidia driver now i only log in in text mode i cannt see the gui when i press ctrl_alt+f7 it goes to black screen how i back to gui

Re: nvidia driver fail to log gui

First you must install the necessary packages to build a kernel interface for the latest nvidia driver:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` build-essential gcc gcc-3.4 xserver-xorg-devAfter getting these packages you should download the driver from http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html. You should also print this step of the guide because you're going to go terminal only. The first thing you need to do is stop the currently running X-server.

Close all applications and press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to a non-X terminal (at this point you can still go back to your X session by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F7). Now log in with your username and password, then stop the currently running X-server by typing the following:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stopNow you must navigate to the directory where you downloaded the nvidia driver. Once there you must type this:

sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9631-pkg1.runBe sure to replace the "x86-1.0-9631-pkg1" with the appropriate architecture and version for the file you downloaded. For example "NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.11-pkg2.run" for an amd64 kernel.

Now follow the instructions and if it complains about not finding a matching kernel-interface choose to download a new one. Most probably it will fail and create a matching interface of its own. If it asks you whether to modify your xorg.conf, choose "Yes". Now essentially you are done and most pro 1000 bably you could just c 1000 ontinue with "Now reboot you system ...". The following detailed instructions tell you how to deal with some special problems.

The new module is created as the file "/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko" . You can query where "modprobe" thinks the module "nvidia" is located. It should be:

$ modprobe --show-depends nvidia
    insmod /lib/modules/2.6.22-8-generic/kernel/drivers/i2c/i2c-core.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/2.6.22-8-generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.koIf this is the case, you can skip the next few lines and continue with "Now reboot your system ...". If instead you get

install /sbin/lrm-video nvidiathen you probably decided to keep the linux restricted modules (See "Removing the old Nvidia driver") and the restricted driver manager is still in the way. It will load a module from the linux-restricted-modules package. One way to circumvent this is to rename the newly compiled driver file to "nvidia-is.ko":

cd /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/video
    sudo mv nvidia.ko nvidia-is.koand make a new entry in the modprobe aliases:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-install-scriptwith the lines

# Make --modprobe nvidia-- look for nvidia-is
    alias nvidia nvidia-isYou can check that this worked with:

insmod /lib/modules/2.6.22-8-generic/kernel/drivers/i2c/i2c-core.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/2.6.22-8-generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia-is.koNow reboot your system by typing:

sudo shutdown now -r
    thats i was doing but i get
    install /sbin/lrm-video nvidia

and dont know what i have to do now?? i think i uninstalled the old driver

Comment

Re: nvidia driver fail to log gui

here is log files
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X