This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Now Understand Why People Switch To Ubu/Kbu An Then BACK To Windoz

I haven't used my Kubuntu 7.10 system for three weeks. I fire it up and OMG, 640x480 resolution on a 19" Widescreen monitor where it had been 1440x900 for MONTHS. Nothing has been touched, turned on/off, or disconnected since the last shutdown. "Monitor/Display" still lists "Intel" for the vid card and "Plug-n-Play" for the monitor. I logged on as Administrator, but there was no option other than 640x480, 60hz.
    THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN WITH ANY OS.
    One expects Hardware settings to remain stable. Any comments ??

Re: I Now Understand Why People Switch To Ubu/Kbu An Then BACK To Windoz

have you tried asking for help on ur issue? or doing a search with a search engine.
    Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here

Comment

I fixed the problem, at least, for now. However, one should NOT have to play with hardware configurations out of the clear blue sky. I'm not trying to degrade Kubuntu. I think it's a great OS and that's why I've used it since Fiesty.
      There is a built-in question in my original post;

Why does Kubuntu 7.10 change "Display/Monitor" configuration files on its own ?? Any comments ??

Comment

it is difficult to know what happened for sure.
        can you tell us what was the fix?
        that may point to the original issue...
        thanks
        gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Yes, I can. In an old post I had downloaded ions ago, there was this answer to another having monitor problems;

"Anyway, to resolve this involved the "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg"
          command mentioned earlier in this thread, which got the default
          settings back".

I had no idea if this would fix my problem or not. At that point, I didn't care because I couldn't change the resolution anyway, but it did work even without clrl+alt+backspace.

I first tried to configure the "Display/Monitor" in System Settings. However, when I changed the aspect ratio to reflect "Widescreen" I got a warning message that the "driver" couldn't handle it. But it had for several months !!!! So, I just did the "reconfigure" and it worked (so far).

It seems obvious to me something changed the monitor configuration file, but I could be totally off base.

What say you ?

Comment

first i'd say that use of system settings -> monitor/display is to be avoided at all costs.
            second, i'm curious to know if you happen to have a file in your home dir named: .kde/share/config/displayconfigrc
            last, could you tell me what graphics card and what monitor you have, please?
            cheers
            gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

If, as stated, "you did nothing" then it's likely that an updated package, downloaded and installed, is the culprit.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yeah, I was just thinking that. I remember a while ago, a mere update screwed things up for Kopete and people couldn't log in to MSN for a while. I think it's just one of those things with open source - everything isn't quite tested with everything else.

I agree with you on the most part though - it shouldn't be like that. I can never see an everyday consumer even thinking about using Linux until issues like these are sorted out. That, and driver support. Windows and Mac users are used to things "just working". I'm sad to say, Linux never seems to be able to make that happen.

Regardless of it's problems though, I think it's worth it. You get more and cooler features, most programs are free, and at it's core, it's rock-solid. I can't stress enough how much easier it is not having to train my firewall with a new rule every five minutes!

Comment

I agree 100% about the value of KDE and I intend to continue using it. When updates are indicated, I just download and install them. Hopefully, one of the updates caused the problem and resetting the configuration solved the problem. Thanks to all for your responses.

Comment

what graphics card are you using and what driver. if you use a driver installed by Envy (restricted driver) for ati or nvidia, you have to reinstall it after and upgrade i.e. feisty to gutsy. I have installed edgy and gutsy on several desk and laptops and have not had that problem since dapper.
                    I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Comment

This is my first time to post. I am your normal user who only knows MS Windows. I tried many Linux flavors on old PII ś and PIII until now. Two things that makes me love Linux: first is the freedom to have a choice and second, the great people in the forum who are unselfishly
                      contributing to the above cause. It's great fun having to look for answers and finding it easily in this forum.

Keep going guys and I hope someday I can contribute as well.

Comment

That is why I make a backup copy of what I consider important settings files including xorg.conf when system is working just fine like I expect/wish it to.

Saves a lot of hassle and aggravation when something goes bust.
                        The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason .....Benjamin Franklin<br />Kubuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Xbuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Win7 x64 Ultimate<br />Linux User: 416878&nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu User: 22154

Comment

Actually, I have had that issues with ALL OSes I've used, even M$. All in all I agree things shouldn't just "occur" like that, but they do. I found the OS I like and live with those annoyances. I did with M$ for eons!

Comment

Working...
                          X