This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updating Map on a TomTom GPS unit without using MS Windows

Does anyone know if you can update maps on TomTom gps units through Linux (Ubuntu / Kubuntu) without the TomTom Home program that is made for Windows and Mac? I'm thinking of getting a TomTom One, but don't use windows anymore. I only use Ubuntu / Kubuntu.

Thanks

Re: Updating Map on a TomTom GPS unit without using MS Windows

I don't have a TomTom my self, but check http://www.tomtom.com/page.php?Page=gpl for a starting point. Hope it works for you.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Re: Updating Map on a TomTom GPS unit without using MS Windows

I did not have luck with wine and the TomTom GO920 but using the Free VirtualBox downloaded from Sun ( not the open source version) and running XP - I was able to connect to the TomTom GO920 via usb and update maps and software. Most things you do with the GO series TomTom just require copying files to the TomTom which you can do with any linux system. The only time you need the TomTOM "Home" application for windows is if you are downloading something from TomTom. Of course it is fun to operate you TomTom while it is connected and for that you need the TomTom "Home" software as well. Likewise there are a few third party software programs such as TYRE that run in windows. I am not sure if all TomTom gps systems use linux, but I tthink the Go series do.

Note: it does take a little time to fiddle with it all to get the usb ports working in VirtualBox, as they do not work after the installation. Once you create your image for VirtualBox you can move it to a dvd and just copy it back when you need it. Likewise I was able to move my XP image to my wifes laptop using Kubuntu, but I needed to run some type of program in XP to make it not look at the hardware because it normally would check hardware and not boot if it's on a different system.

I did put a couple screenshots in the Kubutu forums "Image Gallery" showing my Go920 being operated by the TomTom "home" software on my Kubutu system using the latest VirtualBox and XP.
      Nothing great but you can see it working.

I love the Go920, it reminds me of the old Tivo series 1 days when you could easily edit files and change things and add features beyond the official releases from TomTom.

Comment

Working...
      X