This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for notebook to play with kubuntu

I am a recent Linux convert and want to learn quickly how everything works.

Obviously, I want my primary computer to be stable/useful.

So, I am looking for a used(cheap) laptop to play with all the ideas and upgrades and tweaks on. I always say, "you learn the most when you are in completely unknown territory."

Can you recommend reasonably good laptops from the last several years which have good hardware support. I want to buy used and strip it down to install latest version of Kubuntu. Is there any manufacturer to prefer or is it a set of hardware specs.

Thanks for your suggestion.
    Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it!  LIFE

Re: Recommendations for notebook to play with kubuntu

I use Kubuntu on an IBM T20 (700mhz/384MB/12GB). It works great.

I did have two big problems initially. 1) the installer insisted on setting the display to 1280x1024. Once I fixed the xorg.conf file, it comes up in native 1024x768. 2) the usual problem with a wifi card. The card is Broadcom-based, but after loading the fwcutter package, it just works.

There were some other, minor issues, but all in all it's a pretty decent platform - not the most modern, but good.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

I concur. Thinkpads are great. I don't have a TP but a Lenovo 3000. Just about everything works. Teho one thing that doesn't is the fingerprint reader.

David

Comment

Got a Thinpad T42 here with 2GB Ram and 1400x1050 resolution.
        Everything - is working out of the Box - except the Fingerprint scanner - thins one I have to Manually add and configure the Software ...
        one of the old ones ...

Comment

I have an Acer Aspire 9815, and just about everything works.

The model has an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG circuit, with which you *may* experience difficulties. 7.10 uses the ipw3945 driver which frankly doesn't work with some revisions of the circuit (ending up spamming dmesg with Detected Geography), but in 8.04 they'll have completely migrated to the new iwl3945, which works perfectly. There's also the option of manually compiling the driver. I found a script to automate it, so easy enough.

In 7.04 I had to manually add the native resolution to xorg.conf (1680x1050) but in 7.10 the nvidia driver autodetected it. The Synaptics touchpad driver works, but you need to tinker around with it a bit to get the options working. Multimedia keys work out-of-the-box, though you need to downgrade kmilo to get the volume keys to do anything. (Just grab the Feisty package from packages.ubuntu.com and install it.)

I like how there's a sticker on it saying "Windows Vista Premium Ready", and then I'm running Linux. Take that, society!
          KDE, I heart thee.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorael

I like how there's a sticker on it saying "Windows Vista Premium Ready", and then I'm running Linux. Take that, society!
            My T20 used to have one of those Windoze stickers. I took it off and replaced with a big yellow and black diamond-shaped sticker that says "LINUX ON BOARD" - complete with a picture of Tux!! Lovin' it!
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Not used, but a cheap newer model - -

Compaq Presario 700

Seems to be pretty good but I did have some problems doing installs. Lets say I did a few.

Kubuntu 7.10 in 32 and 64 bit. Had to install using safe graphics. After that I had a hec of a time dealing with the Nvidia Drivers. Lost the GUI, and couldn't get it back. Ended up doing a complete re-install. Being in safe graphics, I had to go with the updated drivers (nvidia-glx-new) which still leaves me with a 600 x 800 max resolution on a wide screen notebook, so I will have to do something in the future.

Also had to go and find the right modem drivers. Not a problem once you do it a couple times.

Right now I still have no sound, and my Atheros WiFi doesn't seem to work even though I supposedly have all the right drivers etc loaded. ( - - NOT!! - -)

It's a work in progress, but I got this just for that reason. It's a learning tool for me with the added benefit of knowing someday it will all work right.

Comment

Thanks so much for responding.

I will keep these notes on hand while shopping for a laptop to use.

Thanks,
                Bob
                Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it!  LIFE

Comment

Working...
                X