This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it me or is it kubuntu

I have a fresh installation of 7.10 the graphics to me are too slow, I have the latest versions and have tried so many different settings that I feel like I am going in circles, for example

I have 2 digital camera pics on my desktop and when I open one and scroll through the others on the desktop they tile in, if I drag firefox around I get many firefoxes behind it like a deck of cards.

My system is

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+ 2.80GHz
    2G Ram
    Nvidia 8600 GTS 512

How can I speed it up?

Re: Is it me or is it kubuntu

That's pretty fast hardware.

What video driver are you using for that 8600GTS?

Comment

That's pretty fast hardware.
      Exactly what I thought, pretty quick.

How do I check which driver I am using?

Edit: I am running 32bit kubuntu as I had problems with drivers for the 64bit

Comment

Is it me or is it kubuntu
        I would say neither. Probably xorg (video driver)

I am no Nvidea expert but could you post your /etc/x11/xorg.conf file and we can have a look.
        T do this navigate in dolphin/konqueror to /etc/x11 and open up xorg.conf in kate.
        Copy / paste to here.

Dible knows his Nvidea stuff and I am sure he can point you in the right direction with that info.
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by doosjuice

How do I check which driver I am using?
          If you don't know, it's not the good one.

I would say download the Envy script installer from here
          You want the one on the lower left of the table that says "Get Envy Legacy". With the download on your desktop, right-click it and "Install with GDebi" or whatever the choice is that installs it. If it happens to fail for a dependency, note the missing file, and use apt-get to install it, and then start the installation of Envy again.

Once Envy is installed, you can run it graphically by clicking the Envy icon in your System menu, or you can run it from the CLI with
          Code:
          sudo envy -t
          Envy will identify your Nvidia card and install the best Nvidia driver for it, which is currently version 169.12.

8)

Comment

yup installed Eny on Saturday, it found the card no probs and has loaded driver version 169.12

Could it be the monitor? (although I have tried it on 2 different ones)

Comment

Working...
            X