This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phantom sound card [solved]

Right now on my system I have only one sound card, a sound blaster PCI, or so I think. When I open up the Sound Mixer it tells me I have two: and Ensoniq AudioPCI (the right one) and a VIA 8237. This makes me think that I've got an on-board sound card, but there are no audio plugs in the back of the computer for them. I also don't know about the mobo since the computer was a handmedown.

Anyway, the actual problem is that sound works only sometimes. I've checked the sound levels and muting and they're ok. What seems to happen is that it picks one of the two sound cards randomly when it boots up. If I get no sound when I boot up, the I have to keep rebooting until it comes back, restarting KDE doesn't seem to help. This may be right away (1 reboot), or as many as 10 (so far). That's very annoying. I dual boot with XP and it seems to have no problem picking that sound card. I've looked and can find no way of getting rid of the VIA option, or making it stay with the Ensoniq. Any ideas? Even worse is that this is forcing me to encounter that 25 reboot forced fsck far more often than I'd like given how big my hard drives are. :-X
    -Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music.

Re: Phantom sound card

I recommend checking the BIOS for onboard sound. I have had success with a similar problem by disabling the onboard sound in the BIOS.

Mike
    http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks! That worked well. I still think that there is something wrong with KDE that it does that though, it should stick with one card, or even let you choose anyway. Perhaps that will be fixed in the next release?

Comment

Can you go back to your original post in this thread and modify the title to add [Solved] to the end? That way people looking for help with the problem later will know the problem was fixed.

Mike
        http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Re: Phantom sound card [solved]

No prob.

Comment

Working...
          X