X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

networking fun anyone?

Hye all,

i am actually using the internet now via my kubuntu machine. via wireless infact.
    my issue is that it is a genuine saga just to get connected each time whether eth or wlan.

i am using my nb at uni, work, home, parents etc so need to be able to change networks easily

have tried various network managers and have run into trouble with each of them and none consistently allow me to connect even to the last network i was connected to.

apologies if this is a vary vague dilema and am aware and scared of the prospect that this is simply a drawback of linux. but if anyone can suggest a configuration or reinstall with corret drivers or some other novel thing i would very much appreciate it.

my w'less card details are as follows:

05:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN Network Connection (rev 61)
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation Unknown device 1100
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
    Memory at 8c100000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
    Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 3
    Capabilities: [d0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
    Capabilities: [e0] Express Endpoint IRQ 0

ta,
    ron

Re: networking fun anyone?

How have you succeeded in getting wireless working? Did wireless work out of the box with kubuntu, or did you install windows drivers via ndiswrapper?

Mike
    http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

the first 2 times i installed kubuntu it seemed to work fine (with default network manager - even showing w'less connection symbol or ethernet connection symbol when appropriate)

the third time i installed kubuntu (and finally got all pertition etc as i wanted) knetwork manager now said it couldn't find a w'less card. despite this, i could get it to connect from time to time and it gave me the option of disabling/enabling w'less card but would only ever show an eth icon in panel.

i suspect it's software issues but don't know if reinstalling driver and then doing a fresh install of kwlan (the one i think i prefer) could iron out all the issues. Also, i have no idea how to do these two things is they would fix it.

sorry for the fagueness but it's where my head's at after dealing with this for the last 3 weeks. nearly had me go back to... the evil os

Comment

I remember school causing the same feelings... It's part of the learning process. I have had spotty results with another laptop with Broadcom wireless. Some of the same things you are describing, sometimes it works, sometimes not. All for no apparent reason. I have had better success on my new laptop with an Atheros wireless card.

If you have wireless working, I recommend taking a look into 'wicd'. I have had some success with that when knetworkmanager was not very stable.

Mike
        http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

i did have brief look at wicd, but seemed a little dubious but appreciate you suggesting it will give me perseverance. especially since the install instructions for kubuntu didn't seem so straight forward.

will let you know how it goes - or more likely, ask you for asistance, if you don't mind...

thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X