Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sound on HP Pavillion dv2000 w/ Intel HDA card...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound on HP Pavillion dv2000 w/ Intel HDA card...

Hi everyone, I just got an HP Pavillion DV2726CA laptop and installed Kubuntu 7.10. The sound seems to work fine; however, when I plug in my headphones, it doesn't mute the speakers. Muting the sound via KMix doesn't seem to work either (KMix only shows 'Master', 'PCM', and 'Capture' volume controls). I've seen this issue come up on other forums, but I haven't seen any fixes. I've tried reinstalling ALSA drivers (1.0.14) manually and that didn't fix the problem. Does anyone have any clue how to fix this?

Thanks,

Carlman 23

Re: Sound on HP Pavillion dv2000 w/ Intel HDA card...

I had the very same issue on my Toshiba A200...
    The workaround for it is as follows (not really sure it applies to you as well, but worth a shot):

open /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base as root
    Code:
     kdesu kate /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
    and add the following line:
    Code:
     options snd-hda-intel position_fix=1 model=lenovo
    reboot and see if it works;
    in my case front has to be muted and headphone switch must be on; front mic has to be muted as well, as it makes some terrible noise when one unplugs the headphones
    sound level is a bit low, but works otherwise

Comment

I tried your suggestion and while it added an extra 'Digital' volume slider onto KMix, it didn't fix the problem. Mute doesn't work at all and sound still comes out of both speakers and the headphone jack. Thanks though...

Comment

sorry it did not help; it would be probably best to remove that line...

if you do install alsa manually, use the latest version (1.0.16)

perhaps this may help

Comment

Reminds me of a problem a few were having a while back. Basically it was found to be a know issue. Look at this link. It has some more on that. May not be the issue here, but sounds close.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089240.0

Comment

Yeah, it looks like that is my issue, however none of the fixes (I followed the installation of the new ALSA drivers to the letter from here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...avillion+sound

have worked for me. Nothing changes and KMix still only shows that there is one output. I'll keep trying different solutions from the known issue page though.

Thanks

Comment

Have you tried testing the Hardy Heron Alpha LiveCD? Just to see if by chance it will be fixed there.

Comment

I just got done testing the 8.04 Alpha 6 CD and the problem seems to be solved there! I guess I'll just have to patiently await the next release...

Thanks for the suggestion - at least the future is looking bright!

Comment

Originally posted by carlman23
                  I just got done testing the 8.04 Alpha 6 CD and the problem seems to be solved there! I guess I'll just have to patiently await the next release...

Thanks for the suggestion - at least the future is looking bright!
                  Shades --> 8)

Comment

Working...
                  X