X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standby problems

Hey all,

I have a small problem with my system: it automatically goes into standby after about 1 minute of inactivity (i'm not sure if it's the whole system or just the monitor). It's pretty annoying, if i'm reading something for example. This began about 1 week ago, but i don't remember modifying any settings (except locking a session for the first time).

I've checked the System Settings->Monitor->Stand By configuration, it's set to 45 minutes. I've checked the Xorg.conf file, no DPMS option set for my monitor.

Any ideas what could cause this?

Re: Standby problems

Could you post the specs for your machine?

That helps us help others
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Sure, graphics board is a Geforce 8600GT model from Asus, monitor: Samsung 793DF; motherboard: Asus P5-E-SLI; CPU:Intel Core2 Duo E4500, with 2GB of RAM.

Is that what you wanted or do you need any other informations?

As i said in my first post, this problem started just about 1 week ago. I've had kubuntu for abotut 4-5 months now and it never occured before.

Comment

I had the same problem start about the same time. I'm usning a geforce 7300le. I've found several threads talking about this. It appears something in an update broke this. Following the suggestion in one thread, I removed quiet splash from my boot line in grub. That seems to have corrected it. Then I put splash back in and it blanked it after about 4 hours last night. Try booting that way once, and if it works edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to remove that part of your boot line.

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-386 root=UUID=859c43aa-76c5-4fd8-8c3f-275159c70ebf ro quiet splash
        change to

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-386 root=UUID=859c43aa-76c5-4fd8-8c3f-275159c70ebf ro
        This is damn near the last straw for me with kubuntu. It's been my favorite so far, but I'm tired of updates breaking it. The adept updater is a nice little utility but every time I use it I'm wondering whats going to break next.

Edit: 30 seconds after I posted this, my monitor went into power save mode again. I had just edited menu.lst to remove the splash I had put back in, so we'll have to see if that corrects it or not.

Comment

Well, never mind. It did it again shortly after the last edit.

Comment

For my 8800GTS, my kernel boot line is the same as your original one above. I have a SyncMaster 1100, so it is a CRT instead of an LCD. But I don't have the problem you are describing.

If you open Nvidia-settings, there's a "powermizer" setting. Mine is set to "Maximum Performance". If you need to change it permanently, open the utility with Alt-F2 "kdesu nvidia-settings" -- then any changes you save will become the defaults.

Comment

This is what I have for powermizer in my nvidia settings. I'm running 169.12.

[img width=400 height=370]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/Chris_C/powermizer1.jpg[/img]

[img width=400 height=344]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/Chris_C/powermizer2.jpg[/img]

I'll try unchecking the powermizer box.

Comment

no expert on this but just to rule out nvidia drivers as a problem just go into konsole and type sudo kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the driver from nvidia to nv. You can switch back and forth very easily. Just ctrl alt backspace to restart the X server after you saved the changes.

I have no other advice but this can help you track down the problem. I guess if you have to just look into something like setting up a kron job to do a task every minute like ping a server or something that would not interfere with what your doing.

Comment

Kron job wont help. It's not an inactivity thing. It will do it while I'm typing. I have also already tried changing the driver. I installed this one just a few days ago just in case. I have briefly run on the nv driver, but I don't remember if it did it while I was using it.

I like the kron job idea for another problem I'm having, though. I keep losing my internet connection if I don't continue to have internet activity. Right now I'm not trying to fix that, I'm just seeding 3 distros to make sure I keep activity. Pinging something ever minute or two would probably do just as well, and much less overhead.

So far I'm a couple of hours in since my last change, and no problem with the monitor.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Vesrin. Have you tried any of this stuff yet?

Comment

Originally posted by cac67
                    This is what I have for powermizer in my nvidia settings. I'm running 169.12.

[img width=400 height=370]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/Chris_C/powermizer1.jpg[/img]

[img width=400 height=344]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/Chris_C/powermizer2.jpg[/img]

I'll try unchecking the powermizer box.
                    No expert here, but the time limit on that does look quite small. Have you tried adjusting that to something else?

Edit: As I said, no expert. Scratch that. That was the timer which I assume is how offten it checks to check the idle state. Sorry for that. Performance Mode was set to what I have mine.

Comment

The numbers on mine are slightly higher, but otherwise yours looks the same as mine, Moon.

Mine says GPU Clock = 576
                      Memory Clock = 850

I have the same "maximum performance" setting.

Comment

Mine is not as fast a card as yours, I think. I'm running a 7300LE.

No dropouts since I unchecked the power mizer monitor. That may have been the problem. I'm tempted now to put quiet splash back in, but I think I'll just leave it along for a few more days at least.

Comment

Let us know what happens when you do add those back.

Comment

Didn't add them back, I just had another drop out. I've got a little more info about it.

When it went out, I tried ctrl-alt-f1 through f8. I got the f1 - f6 tty terminals back up, but f7 and f8 went right back to the popup box from the monitor saying no signal detected. I tried to shutdown from f1 with sudo shutdown now, but it failed and locked up that tty. sudo reboot from f2 just came back to a prompt. alt-sysrq rseiub did nothing when I tried it before, didnt try it this time. tried to start kwin from f3 but got cannot connect to xserver.

Is there any way to see what I updated the last time? It was in adept, and I havent run any updates since I started having this problem, but I haven't seen any way to see what my last updates were. If I can find out I'll revert them all back and see what happens.

Comment

It's very bad today. I've been unable to complete a single task without the monitor turning off. And I cant reboot without letting it sit powered down for a couple of minute first.

Today I've tried using the nvidia, nv, and vesa drivers. Same thing on all. I've uninstalled kde4, no difference. I'm about at my wits end, and will probably be doing a clean install of another distro this evening. It appears that the only way I'm going to be able to use my computer now is with a fresh install, and that reminds me too much of windows.

Comment

Working...
                              X