This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S-Video Output

I've posted before how to get dual monitors with DVI and VGA. I got this working with nvidia-settings just fine. I want to extend this a little more.

I have my main desktop display via VGA on my monitor. I have a second desktop that is to the left of the main desktop that is displayed via DVI on my projector.

What I want to do now is output my second desktop both on the DVI and S-Video. I use MythTV on the second desktop but don't want to use my projector all the time so I want to output onto my TV.

I've searched how to do this and have come up with some edits to xorg.conf but I just don't know what I'm doing. I tried using nvidia-settings but nothing. I found this example but don't know how to clone that second desktop. I've attached my current xorg.conf if anyone can lend some help.
    Attached Files

Re: S-Video Output

What's your graphics card?
    I have an ATI Radeon X1600, and it only supports output through two of the three heads at one time.
    For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
      What's your graphics card?
      I have an ATI Radeon X1600, and it only supports output through two of the three heads at one time.
      I have an nVidia 8500GT. What if I buy a second PCI (not PCI-E or AGP) card, would that work then?

Comment

If you just want the second desktop cloned, it's probably possible without the second graphics card. See if you can find a DVI-to-S-Video adapter and a DVI splitter. That'd do it.

Try setting the second desktop up on the S-Video output and connecting something to the DVI output. It might appear.
        Also try playing around with the Monitor & Display component of System Settings (after backing up your xorg.conf). Your card might just send a duplicate signal to the "unused" head (though it'd be more likely to work if the primary outputs were S-Video and DVI).

You could use a second graphics card to power a second desktop, yes... Not necessarily desktop #2, but just to make two desktops.
        For external use only.

Comment

thanks for your help... I'll play a bit.

I dont really want to do a dvi splitter as the card and my projector use HDCP (wish I would of not did that). Even though it's encrypted, would a splitter split it ok?

Comment

Probably. It just sends a duplicate signal to the second wire.
            Unless there's two-way traffic (i.e. display talks to card). Then this wouldn't work without a special device, if such a thing exists.

EDIT: Just checked the Wikipedia article on HDCP... There is two-way traffic. There's no way a splitter would work.
            However, if either display has outputs, problem solved.
            Displays without outputs aren't especially widespread, but they're definitely out there.
            For external use only.

Comment

I don't like DVI w/HDCP!!! lol

What I really want to do now is buy a new projector without HDCP or go with HDMI...

If I understand correctly, and correct me if I'm wrong, HDMI and DVI are that far off each other. Both carry the same video signal (HDMI doesn't have HDCP) and HDMI carries sound.

I take it your not too familiar with HDCP so you probably don't know if the video card will always encrypt using HDCP. Like if I buy a new projector that uses DVI without HDCP will it be able to accept the signal from my video card. Probably will try that and if it doesn't work get a new video card too. Just need to sell what I have so I can get new goodies! I've seen DVI to VGA and VGA to S-Video so that I know I can do.

Comment

I'd check the packaging/documentation for the video card. If it doesn't mention HDCP, it's possible that you're just sending a standard HD signal. (But, as you said, I am not familiar with HDCP. I also have but a little experience with HDMI and DVI, having been introduced to them both only since Christmas.)

Incidentally, HDCP can be sent over HDMI or DVI interfaces. Not sure if that affects you in any way, but it's good to know.
                You may also be interested in this... you can probably find one on eBay (though if you're in the US, I guess it'd technically be illegal). (Just checked eBay, maybe you can't.)

For external use only.

Comment

I bought the card because it said it was HDCP ready. View Card

My projector won't display as HD unless I used a HDCP video card and of course I wanted HD.

About the link you provided for DVIMAGIC. After reading a little about it, it seems to be a short term fix. Best thing to do is stay away from it for what I want to do. Lesson learned even though it cost me a pretty penny.

But thanks for your research and help!

Comment

xrandr --output S-video --auto
                    xrandr --output S-video --same-as DVI-0

or words to that effect? All depending on your graphics card and the drivers' support for S-video output. (You may also need to manually set the TV format with "xrandr --output S-video --set tv_standard pal" or ntsc, as you need.)

Your system may have different output names - try "xrandr --prop" to list them first.

HTH

Comment

How does S-Video work anyway? I have an S-Video port on my laptop but I have no idea what I could do with it? Like could I hook a cable from my s-video port on my laptop to a s-video port on my tv and get dual display?

Comment

yeah, it's a video only port like VGA or DVI. It's higher quality than standard composite but not high def

Comment

Working...
                        X