This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Error, could not load nvidia-kernel-module"

I thought I fixed this problem, but apparently didn't. I went to bed last night and left my computer running; after waking up this morning, I got on my computer and the screen froze. I waited a while, but nothing happened so I tried to restart X (ctrl-alt-Backspace) - which didn't work; I had to reboot. Instead of booting to the KDM login screen, I got a command prompt with the errors "Error, could not load nvidia-kernel-module" and "screens found but could not be loaded", or something to that effect. Using Nano, I altered xorg.conf to use the "nv" driver instead of "nvidia" and ran the command "sudo startx", which gave me the requested UI. I then changed xorg.conf back to using the "nvidia" driver rather than "nv", logged out and restarted X, which gave me the command prompt again with the same error messages. So, I changed drivers again and here I am now, running the "nv" driver with no idea how to fix this problem. Any help is very welcome.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Re: "Error, could not load nvidia-kernel-module"

Code:
    sudo envy -t

You did install Envy, right?

Comment

Re: "Error, could not load nvidia-kernel-module"

Yes, the last time I had this problem, I used Envy to uninstall the driver and kernel, and then to reinstall them. It worked, but only for a couple of days :P See this thread for more info, only, this time, the internet does work.
      Asus G1S-X3:
      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
      X