X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: glxgears comprison

Yes, Dibl.
    Here I have nvidia-glx-new (97.xx), but this also happened with 96.xx and some previous versions.
    I hope my machines weren't cursed all these years. LOL
    No overclock in CPU or GPU, stock speeds only.
    I remember this behaviour in these distros: Mandrake, Conectiva (several versions) and now Kubuntu.
    Don't blame me, I have nothing to do with that. =P

Comment

If I run glxgears in Kubuntu (64-bit) w/Compiz Fusion, my Xserver reboots.
      That was good

BTY I noticed that little discrepancy when switching focus on windows.

My point was more the difference between distros on the same hardware.

Especially between *buntu's and derivates (mint).
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I see you have run the tests without acceleration, yes?
        The discrepancy could be something with the particular MESA implementation, since it drives software OpenGL. I doubt distro-makers would mess with that, but the only other thing would be the video driver, which is even less likely to be modified by distro-makers.
        I wouldn't think of a Xorg issue, this is just a graphical environment and doesn't really "drive" the mentioned hardware, it is all the module's task.

Comment

glxgears uses the processor not the video hardware I just found that out
          from another long time user
          The things I keep learning

Comment

It makes sense when looking at Ksensors: CPU goes from 1000MHz to 2400MHz (full speed) when launching the app. I once saw that Warcraft3 and some other games had the CPU at full speed for about 5 to 10% of the time the game was being played.
            But what about the performance increase when using an opengl capable video driver? And does it mean a 3GHz CPU with a Geforce7600 will run it faster than a 2GHz CPU with a Geforce8800, if the app is "CPU bound"?

Comment

Working...
            X