This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restart Options

I recently tried out suse, but decided to go back to kubuntu cause it just rocks more There was one feature that suse had that was actually kinda neat which was the option to boot directly into windows (or other os) and skipping the boot loader.

If that's not very clear, here's how I got to it. Just go to restart like normal (K Menu>Log Out) then I noticed a down arrow on the restart button. Hold down left click and I see all my grub entries there, and I can choose to boot windows directly.

Can this be done in kubuntu?

Re: Restart Options

I don't think so, but it's a cool idea, so I'm going to move this thread to New Feature Requests.

Comment

Bummer, but thanks a bunch askrieger for moving it to feature requests!

Comment

Originally posted by dlanor78
        Actually you can get the menu in kubuntu too, but is 'fairly' well hidden :P

1. Goto Systemsettings>LoginManager>Shutdown
        2. Hit the 'Admin Mode' button
        3. Change 'Boot Manager' to Grub
        4. Apply and restart X
        5. Now your restart button should have an arrow and a menu for your grub entries

Comment

That's great!!! Thanks a bunch kubicle. The location for the setting was a little different though (well, named slightly differently which might make it confusing for even more newbies than me). I am using kde 3.5.3, so maybe that's why. Here's where I found it:

K Menu>System Settings>Login Manager>Shutdown

The rest is the same as the previouse post. Thanks again for the great info kubicle!!!

Comment

I always wondered if that option did what I thought it does. Glad someone tested it for me. hehehe!

Btw, just 2 things I noted:
            1. You have to hold down the mouse button on the restart button to make the menu pop up. A simple click will immediately restart your computer.

2. it uses the menu.lst of the current installation/system. So if you used a different menu.lst/GRUB (for example, multiple booting of different distros), you won't be able to use that menu.lst. But it's just easy to copy the menu.lst anyway

Thanks for the tips kubicle!
            Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by dlanor78
              That's great!!!  Thanks a bunch kubicle.  The location for the setting was a little different though (well, named slightly differently which might make it confusing for even more newbies than me). I am using kde 3.5.3, so maybe that's why. 
              Err...sorry, haven't been using an english desktop for a while (I cycle between a few languages) and it's just a memory and translation error on my part, thanks for pointing it out, I'll edit my original post (looks like it's time to switch to english again )

Comment

Working...
              X