This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A PCLinuxOS like control center

I was using PCLinuxOS before Kubuntu and I really liked their Control Center that handled graphically, all in one place, things like editing the lilo/grub, partitions, mount points etc. We need something like this or better yet add those functions into system settings.

Re: A PCLinuxOS like control center

Originally posted by kpurcell
    I was using PCLinuxOS before Kubuntu and I really liked their Control Center that handled graphically, all in one place, things like editing the lilo/grub, partitions, mount points etc.  We need something like this or better yet add those functions into system settings.
    There is a module for partitions and mountpoints in systemsettings/kcontrol (Disks & Filesystems). It's not perfect, but it's there.

A boot manager (lilo/grub) module would be nice, but it would be very easy to mangle one's system with it, so it would have to be very user friendly and fool-proof

Comment

There is a module for partitions and mountpoints in systemsettings/kcontrol (Disks & Filesystems). It's not perfect, but it's there.

A boot manager (lilo/grub) module would be nice, but it would be very easy to mangle one's system with it, so it would have to be very user friendly and fool-proof
      Well the first time I poked around in the D&F util I did not yet fully understand all the workings of the System Settings UI, so I didn't notice you can make changes. This could be much easier and in the PCLinux Control Center there are a lot of places to make changes that we have to do via command line. I would hope the powers that be would take a look at what they have in PCLOS and try and get something like it for Kubuntu.

Comment

By the yardstick of user friendliness , PCLOS tops all.
        A lot of applications are to be installed after having Kubuntu (eg: digikam) which work off the box in PCLOS.

Comment

What about a Suse YAST style layout (except for their package manager). I like having all my admin functions under one menu that I don't have to relog into every time I change from one function to the other.

Comment

Libranet had the best method I have ever used ( Adminmenu ) but alas is now deceased It worked well but was not open sourced and I doubt it ever will be

Comment

Working...
            X