This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a new installer

Have the option to install the lastest kernel with your setting of your system.

It could scan your system and see the hardware and the chipset, etc.

And just install what you have.

All these wireless and bluetooth and always having to install at a i386 lvl when running a k7 or more.

I cannot seem to install the latest kernel myself. always breaks something.

thanks

Re: a new installer

Originally posted by michellembrodeur
    I cannot seem to install the latest kernel myself. always breaks something.
    If you give a bit more detail we might be able to help you with that

Have you tried installing the 'linux-k7' metapackage (if k7 is the one you want)?

Comment

I think what she means is more software/drivers. Ie not installing the bluez tools on a system with no bluetooth?

Comment

Originally posted by morikaweb
        I think what she means is more software/drivers. Ie not installing the bluez tools on a system with no bluetooth?
        Yes, I spend a lot of time uninstalling bluetooth, wireless and others.

Roommate figured out the amd k7 kernel parts I needed. and also to uninstall the old ones.

I mean does anyone actually have an I386 system anymore?

Comment

Not only does no one have an i386 any more, but the "i386" kernel won't run on an i386 any more. It's really compiled for i486. I wish I could remember the difference.

Comment

I think the main problem in installing the optimized kernel version automatically is that the kernel packages are quite large, there would probably have to be different CDs for every kernel version. The nice thing about 386 is that it works for 'all' 386-family processors. I assume it would be possible for the installer to install optimized kernels if there is a working internet connection, but I'm not convinced the benefits would overcome possible problems it might cause.

Comment

Working...
            X