This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things working out of the box

Sorry to be such a bitch, but I've been really disappointed with this release.
    I installed Kubuntu Breezy on my desktop in January, coming from a Gentoo environment and really liked that things just worked, and I didn't need to mess with things.

I've just moved and was being thrown straight into work, so I wanted to install something on my new laptop that I was confident I wouldn't have to spend a lot of time messing with because I don't have the time, and after Breezy I figured Dapper would be even better.

Instead I feel quite sorely let down:
    - Adding a printer was problematic (Bug 39484)
    - My USB camera that just worked under Breezy no longer does - I can't get any photos off it.

USB devices, while they work, have taken a backwards step - they don't automount - and I can't seem to find a way to get this behaviour back, and when you mount them through the popup, they get put in /media/sd.. instead of /media/usbdisk where Breezy put them.

There have been other laptop related problems to do with WPA and hibernate - I can sort of understand these as these are cutting edge areas, but even so, finding the solution seemed to be harder than it should've been.

But those things aside, I don't understand how the USB problems and Printer problems made it to release.

I really hope Edgy is a better release.
    </whinge>

Re: Things working out of the box

For my laptop, Breezy was broken -- SMP kernel was completely broke on P4-Mobile with HT.

With Dapper -- everything I have tried works without a hitch.

The problem is inherent with GNU/Linux. GNU/Linux is evolving so fast that going from 1 version to another version is more than "The last version plus fixes". In reality, often it's a complete rewrite or redesign.

The GNU/Linux speedy evolution is a double edged sword -- On one edge, Linux is constantly simplifying things and adding new features as it evolves. On the other edge, we are always starting fresh and therefore breaking things that used to work.

This is another reason why it is important to report errors and glitches to the community. Error reporting is kinda like voting. If you don't vote, don't expect to get representation. If you don't report errors, don't expect for them to be fixed.

I think we need to simplify error reporting... read my post:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=7289.0

Comment

Working...
    X