X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General suggestions

Hi, I'm new in this forum. Good work!

I use this OS for work & passion and I have some suggestions about kubuntu.

1) We need a faster kubuntu
    2) There is a little number of software for electronics cad and simulation of circuits. We'd like to use possibly a software like OrCAD and Electronics workbench.
    3) Work with the graphics. I think that the New Dapper is the best linux OS ever made but some interfaces are poor, like the Adept auto updater, the System settings panel and other.
    For the system settings panel look the panel of suse, or mandriva. The difference is only a graphical question because now the panel of kubuntu is valid like that of suse. A little shrewdness make a big effect to the mass, that can't understand what there is under a graphic interface
    4) When I type "init 1" from a terminal the system freeze and I can't enter in single user mode

See you soon boys

Re: General suggestions

To answer some of your concerns:
    1) I'm not sure why you think Kubuntu is slow. It is fairly fast on my computer and uses minimal resources despite the fact that I have 6 desktops open and I'm surfing the web, and listening to internet radio on two of them. I wonder if your system is configured properly. Can you start a konsole (K>System>Konsole) and run the command "top"? See if there is some program that is taking a large percentage of the system resources.

2) Activate the universe and multiverse repositories: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AddingRepositoriesHowto You will probably find some programs that fit your needs.

3) DON'T USE ADEPT! Adept's interface is poor not because of the graphics, but because the person who wrote it has no concept of how people use a computer. Install the Synaptic pakage manager. From the konsole (see above) enter the command
    Code:
    apt-get install synaptic
    4) The way to enter single user mode on bootup is to start it from the second line in grub. The way to get root user privileges for system administration when you're already logged in is to use "sudo" https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo

Comment

Thank you for the answer.
      I have to say that I use linux for a long time (almost 5 years) then I'm able to use linux
      I always use apt-get and not adept or synaptic. I sayd that things thinking with the mind of a new user wich has adept as first installer and not synaptic.
      I apologize if my tone can have been hard, it wasn't my intention (my english is not good :P ).
      I know that kubuntu is one of the faster distros, and I love it. My comparison was referenced to windows OS.
      I use the universe and multiverse repositories and I have installed all the existing electronics programs but there aren't good complete product (think to OrCAD).
      The best electronics program that I have found is Qucs, even if this program misses some important functions too.
      About the point 4): generally when I have to enter in single user mode (for a dist-upgrade, in exemple) I give `init 1` in the terminal, so the killing process starts. The problem is that it freeze the system before give me the tty's login.

See you. Still good job, you are big!

Comment

I'll try and keep this unbiased as I read another posts and anything negative towards Kubuntu wasn't well recieved.

Been using PC's since bout 1999. Been programming as a hobby since then till recently where now I am working on an associates in programming. I have used Knooppix, Ubuntu, Suse, SLAX, and ZenWalk as LiveCD's and like Kubuntu best even though none of them seem to like my graphics card (ATI X700 PCI Express) or modem. I just reformatted my PC cause XP was having problems again (like the 6th time total which is really irritating me). I partitioned my computer to dual boot and installed Kubuntu.

The installation was ok and fast. No restarts in the middle which I LOVE. There are a few things I see as good and bad.

Good:
        ~Temporary security when it was easy to implement. Had troubles a couple of times.
        ~Way fast.
        ~Great ideas seem to come from the open-source community (multiple desktops, window tabs, stuff like that)
        ~KDE is my favorite desktop
        ~Price

Bad:
        ~Still had to use the console. I don't think you should have to use the console at all. I know people who have trouble finding the files they saved let alone editing files with the console
        ~Poor support for modems, and graphics cards. A lot of people still have modems and more have graphics cards. I built my PC in 2004 so it isn't bleeding edge. LiveCD didn't like my dad's computer either without booting into safe mode. It would probably be easier to update programs and such if I had access to the net through Kubuntu but I don't right now.

I think Kubuntu needs to be a solid package with as many drivers as possible and as easy to use as possible if it is going to be popular with the general public. Get em online so they can update what they need. Solid operating system with the basics like an office suite(OpenOffice.org), internet browser(Firefox), media player, and compatibility with most hardware should be a good start. I am gonna keep the Dapper install I have and play with it more.

Just throwing the ideas out there. I can't see how such innovations are possible if no one's voice is heard. I wish I could use Kubuntu and get rid of XP (really bad, like it hurts when XP breaks after 3 months) but I don't feel safe doing that yet.

To anyone gonna throw a fit about my opinions, don't bother, I have no reason to care what you think if it isn't constructive.

Comment

It's easy to say Kubuntu should support more hardware, but a lot of the onus is on hardware manufacturers to release Linux drivers or at least open the code to their Windows drivers so Linux developers can create kernel support for those pieces of hardware.

In other words, as much as can be humanly done for hardware support is being done.

As for the command-line, that's the direction things are harding--more point and click. Look at every release of Kubuntu--Hoary, Breezy, Dapper. Each one has focused more and more on making things graphical.

In the meantime, plenty of other distros like Mepis and PCLinuxOS are not as command-line heavy, and you can use those.

As for being constructive, change doesn't happen by posting on a forum. Change happens by filing bug reports, donating money, contributing code, writing documentation, and helping new users.
          Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

I don't think they will release their drivers as open source because their competition could take advantage of any optimizations etc to help themseves. With so many different distributions it is probably hard to justify making Linux drivers (which take time) when there isn't really a "major" distribution out there in the sense that there is one Windows XP, one OS X.

I wish there was a major distro packed with KDE and Gnome that the user could choose when they logged in and aimed at more recent computers. The programmers out there are smart but I think there talents are spread too thin. Could you imagine the operating system that is maintained by 1,000+ programmers? *drool*

The fading away of the command line stuff is why I installed Daper. I took Breezy with me to college and played with it there last semester. I tried PCLinuxOS but can't remember what was wrong.

On the constructive note, I know the dev of the software probably aren't one here, but I don't think a bug report is any place to discuss ideas.

PS - Is it hard to program on Linux, was wondering if/how I could help but I am fairly new to this (one class and my free time)

Comment

Originally posted by derekh
              Could you imagine the operating system that is maintained by 1,000+ programmers? *drool*
              I can imagine it would never get released because those 1000+ programmers would never be able to agree on anything.
              Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

I'll try and keep this unbiased as I read another posts and anything negative towards Kubuntu wasn't well recieved.
                I haven't seen much bashing on these forums, but if someone can't handle criticism or different opinions, it's their loss, not yours. All thoughts are welcome if presented in a constructive and civilized manner.

I don't think they will release their drivers as open source because their competition could take advantage of any optimizations etc to help themseves.
                I'm hoping the day will come that one of the companies will see the potential benefits of releasing open source drivers would overcome any predicted losses. This is however up to the companies, there's nothing much linux/kubuntu can do about it...except advocate for a change.

If and when linux userbase grows, I'm sure they'll see the market space for a linux-friendly graphics adapter + open source driver.

With so many different distributions it is probably hard to justify making Linux drivers (which take time) when there isn't really a "major" distribution out there in the sense that there is one Windows XP, one OS X.
                Of course there already are closed source (binary) drivers released by the companies for linux. As a general rule the drivers aren't distribution specific (though the packaging system may vary, deb or rpm for example). Sometimes distributions have to do some of their own tweaking to fit those drivers into the rest of the distribution.

You can install both nvidia and ati (fglrx) binary drivers straight with (k)ubuntu package management.

I wish there was a major distro packed with KDE and Gnome that the user could choose when they logged in and aimed at more recent computers.
                You can have KDE and Gnome side-by-side in any distribution (though most of them only install one by default) and you can choose the desktop you want when you login.

Also the amd64 release versions try to cater to the people with new 64-bit computers.

Could you imagine the operating system that is maintained by 1,000+ programmers? *drool*
                In a way that is true now, there are literally thousands of programmers working on every distribution...the way it works is that programmers create open source software (individual applications) and distributions choose which to include (by their preferences) in the distribution (of course making a distribution includes more than just picking up the best software, like unifying, tweaking and some coding).

However having 1000+ programmers actually putting together a distribution would probably be a logistical nightmare, as those people would have many different opinions of what to include and what to remove, and into what direction should the distribution go in the future etc.

Also, in my opinion, we shouldn't strive for 'One linux distribution for all', since that would effectively mean monopolizing linux, a system that is all about choice (and specifically the freedom to choose)...I admit there would be benefits, but in a bigger picture I think we'd lose in the process.

The fading away of the command line stuff is why I installed Daper.
                I agree that all the common tasks should be available in GUI, I know how some of my friends abhorr the CLI :P. To some extent that is true today, but in (k)ubuntu there still are a few tasks that require the use of the CLI.

That said, I don't see the CLI going away completely, you just can't put the versatility of the command line in GUI (I mean all the options available in every command and the usefulness of commands in scripts etc).

Anyway...though I disagree with some of your opinions, it doesn't mean you're wrong...and you're certainly not wrong in voicing them...after all, freedom to choose means freedom of opinions, too

PS - Is it hard to program on Linux, was wondering if/how I could help but I am fairly new to this (one class and my free time)
                Since you have programmed before, the jump to linux shouldn't be a steep one, you could post in the coding/scripting section and ask where to start (the documentation, development tools etc.)

Comment

My intention was make kubuntu the best OS. I have only explained some of my opinions.
                  I didn't want be discourteous.
                  I love kubuntu! Is the best linux os! Continue with your job so kubuntu can become the best OS over all other os.

Comment

Also, in my opinion, we shouldn't strive for 'One linux distribution for all', since that would effectively mean monopolizing linux, a system that is all about choice (and specifically the freedom to choose)...I admit there would be benefits, but in a bigger picture I think we'd lose in the process.
                    I agree that people should still have their choice. I just wish Kubuntu could fill the need that I have in an operating system package. It is close now, and I am sure it would be closer if I had highspeed to get the different packages.

I could have worded this better. I'll try now. Other companies only have so many people working on their software because of need, cost, or both. A bunch of programmers could have a specific set of goals to work toward, and with the open source community, there are probably plenty of people out there that could help as much as it is needed. As such, the users get the best experience. That's the best that I can describe it right now even though I still don't think I am saying it right.

Anyway...though I disagree with some of your opinions, it doesn't mean you're wrong...and you're certainly not wrong in voicing them...after all, freedom to choose means freedom of opinions, too
                    That's all I expect and Thank You for being civil.

Comment

Working...
                    X