This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a few request for next version

well first i would say "thank you" this is the best kubuntu i ever had !

the install process is good looking. Even if they are not a lot of choise. but the F2-FX for choosing language and keysetting is a good thing !!!

what i regret are :

1: no real choise of what i install
    2: no choise between grub and lilo (yes even if grub is better, i always use lilo, maybe because i never really use grub ...)
    3: why is bash-completion not activate by default. Am i the only one who like to use this function ?
    4: setting a root password at install will help some noob, because many peaple don't know how to do this with sudo passwd

what i'm really impressed :

1: the add/remove tool
    2: the add/remove tool that find important update and say it at tray icon
    3: the ksnapshot that open when printscreen is pressed (maybe i always did something wrong with my olds distrib, but i never see this function )
    4: not a lot of **** was install by default

i had a sound problem, but after configuration the system to use dev/dsp this problem was solved (even if the system choose the correct sound card)

Re: a few request for next version

o i forget here are some other things

1: no desktop applet in the dock (i think it is usefull) (i know how to do this)
    2: no home button in the dock (that is usefull too) (i forgot how to do this, so if anyone could tell me)

Comment

Welcome to kubuntu

Thanks for sharing what you like and don't like about kubuntu, that should help the developers make kubuntu even better. I'll post a few quick comments:

1: no real choise of what i install
      I think that is to simplify the install process...most people new to linux wouldn't know what to install.

Another thing is that you can't fit a whole lot of choice on one CD...since you have to download most of the (additional) stuff anyway, you can just as well do it after the install

An experienced user can do the server installation to install the minimal amount of packages and then add what he/she needs

I wouldn't object having a tool to select packages in the 'expert' installation, but I can live with the current setup as well.

2: no choise between grub and lilo (yes even if grub is better, i always use lilo, maybe because i never really use grub ...)
      This could also be an option in the 'expert' installation (if it's not there already...haven't tried expert installation lately :P)

3: why is bash-completion not activate by default. Am i the only one who like to use this function ?
      You mean the 'Tab button auto-completion' or something else? auto-completion works for me.

4: setting a root password at install will help some noob, because many peaple don't know how to do this with sudo passwd
      I think that is just the point of the 'sudo approach of (k)ubuntu', a new user (or advanced user for that matter) has no need to set a root password...those that really wish to enable it and who know what they're doing should be familiar with 'sudo passwd'...there are also simple instructions on how to do it in the desktop guide and online documentation.

no home button in the dock (that is usefull too) (i forgot how to do this, so if anyone could tell me)
      I think the 'System Menu' is more versatile than a plain home icon in the panel (you can open home folder from the menu)...if you want a 'home' button, you can create a desktop launcher with the command
      konqueror /home/<YOURUSERNAME>
      and drag it to the panel for example.

Comment

thx for answering me

i have'nt try an expert installation
        by the way what are the difference "install to disc" and "oem install"

by default, the TAB autcompletion work, but it's not pretty good.
        U need to uncomment 2 or 3 lines in /etc/bash.bashrc
        exit the shell and log in again, aand u will see it is WAY more powerfull.

exemple :

apt-get install something

without modification
        apt-g[TAB] in[TAB] give something like "apt-get" and words that begins with in but used for the system.

with modification
        give apt-get install (yes the correct word...)

it's the same for other tools

well in fact the auto completion work better, i don't know how to explain it better sorry ....

Comment

Working...
        X