This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lockable Packages or alike

So recently, I wanted to remove a package. I select it to be removed and press apply and next thing I see is it's removing kdenetwork so I try to cancel it but it's too late.

This isn't the first time I've done this. I like to experiment so I screw things up. It just sucks to reinstall everything especially since the install doesn't support my Nvidia 8500 video card.

Anyway, some packages just shouldn't be removable, right?

Re: Lockable Packages or alike

The 'other side' of the power of Linux, is the power to destroy.

I myself, always opt to simulate an installation or removal of any packages using apt-get from the command line. The command is:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get [install][remove] --simulate package
    This allows you to see what would happen if you actually do it.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Alternatively, if you're using Adept manager for your installing and uninstalling, you do have the option to have it list off the packages intended to be installed or uninstalled with each change you ask for.

Unfortunately this very handy tool isn't in the menus at the top, but it can be in the tool bar (I always change the configuration of this, and don't remember if this is a default tool bar option or not). The icon is a little magnifying glass, and is called Preview Changes. I've made a habit of looking at this before each time I apply changes.

Comment

Thanks for that DK. I was't aware of this 'feature' and as I do what I do from the CLI, really haven't paid close enough attention while in Adept Manager to see this. I'll look tonight when I get home.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X