This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embedded Desktop Apps

I don't know whether this is already being done, I've searched but can't find anything for it (oh if I could program!!!):

Is there a way to embed applications into the desktop i.e open an application then fix it to the desktop so that it can't be moved about, doesn't show on the taskbar, the remainder of the desktop space appears raised about it and the embedded application can still be adjusted by the user with the option of dragging and dropping into the app? I envision apps that stay put when the "Show Desktop" icon is clicked.

If it can't be done yet then could someone please work on it. Imagine a desktop with visible, accessible configuration settings built into it such as the graphic equalizer for the audio player, the graphics card's brightness and contrast settings, a scribble pad or an animated comic

If anyone can suggest a desktop environment that already allows this then please suggest it. Thank You.

BTW I've tried KDE4. I'm not a fan :P

Re: Embedded Desktop Apps

Not really what you are after, but superkaramba widgets act in a not dissimilar fashion to this.

Comment

After making my original post, I found out about Superkaramba. It doesn't do as I need but it is a start. The homepage for SK shows the last version as being from 2006, do you know of a more recent one?

Comment

SK has been stable for a long time. I doubt any major changes would have been done except for porting it over to KDE4, which they did.

Comment

yes, Superkaramba is now an official part of kde and has been updated as well along the way since then

Comment

I've just installed SK It's good; not what I needed (I'd like to be able to fix any app to the desktop (or a desktop so as to give a desktop the feel of a room not a theme - media room with media settings and apps built into the desktop; games room with games' settings built into the desktop etc...)). SK Will do for now though.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestion to use SK.

Comment

I believe some of what you are looking for will be available in KDE4 in the future. I remember reading from the KDE Planet RSS feed about how Plasma will be used to change the way a user interacts with the desktop. This was one of the major reasons for the large change with KDE4. As more and more 'plasmoids' are coded you may find what you are looking for.

Mike
              http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

you may be able to get some of things if you play around with some settings.
                Try right-clicking on your application's titlebar, and look in the advanced section, and then in 'Special Window Settings' and 'Special Application Settings', where you can do various things like specify window size, position, force on top, etc. There must be some documentation on this , probably on KDE's website....

Also there are some settings in System settings - Window Behavior - window specific settings

now Amarok doesn't have easy access to its EQ from the default view layout, which is the Playlist View. If you goto Tools- Show Player Window, you will get a small player with buttons to bring up the EQ and also the main playlist window. along with the visual analyzers. There are also many Amarok controller widgets for Superkaramba to look at .

Comment

I am looking for something other then SuperKaramba. I find it hangs my system if I leave it idle for any amount of time.

Comment

Working...
                  X