This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some intelligent wizards

I've focused on IMHO the 3 issues that I feel any user (new or techie) EXPECT TO WORK or at least get considerable help from an advanced OS like Linux. Wireless and Media access

First and most important --- Wireless Driver Wizard
    THIS IS A HUGE ISSUE and one that probably leads many AVERAGE users to abandon Linux in general or a specific distro. Most distro forums on wireless are filled with misery and confusion for those poor souls who have a laptop whose wireless chipset is not openly supported. Ubuntu and Linux in general are losing thousands of converts weekly on this issue alone. My Dell has the BCM4318 anti-christ chipset - but I'm pretty technical and have done the NDISwrapper a few times. BUT I'M TECHNICAL and I WANTED LINUX. The average Joe ain't gonna hack it.
    Recently I helped a friend move to Ubuntu - only to learn that he had the wireless chip from hell - BCM4309 --- after numerous attempts I was ready to give up and then I found Linuxant.com --- yes they charge $20 for their service --- BUT THEIR WIRELESS WIZARD WORKED FLAWLESSLY . Basically it allows you to try multiple driver.sys files until you find one that works (and they tell you it works). Basically its an automated NDISwrapper installer + tester + remover ..... all the user should have to do is collect a few possible driver sets and drop them on the desktop. I had to go thru 3 different drivers and BINGO it worked on the 3rd driver set -- less than 5 minutes I had the chipset from hell working.

Lastly - if the wireless wizard is not working (as will happen) there should be a "DUMP SYSTEM CONFIG" button that dumps all the most needed system / config files / logs into one txt file that can be posted for help --------- Lets try to help the new guys NOT PUNISH THEM.

Second is Wireless Config
    I've yet to move to Kubuntu on my laptop (thats next) - but under Ubuntu Gnome once you get your wireless working it only supports an Open Network OR WEP. WTF You then need to go thru a bunch of "script hell" to get support for WPA etc. ---- totally F'ed up --- I have to say that Microsoft's wireless Zero-Config software leaves Ubuntu in the dust. In fact on the above friends laptop I finally said screw it and loaded WICD and had "advanced wireless" config and setup working in minutes.

Second -- Media Codecs
    I've only had trouble here a few times - but its frustrating. A user should be able to look at a few different Media apps (down load and look at the features / look and feel) --- and then open the Media Wizard. In the Media Wizard you select which of the apps you've down loaded you want to use for all your media use -- the wizard then walks you thru setting up codecs and even adding plug-ins etc.

Re: Need some intelligent wizards

Agree

When new users try to use modern wireless networking with WPA they get stuck. Same with codecs - does not work out of the box.

Or like when installing 7.10 without the network cable inserted the installation tells you upgrade packages can not be validated or something similar and tells the user it has to be dealt with later.

What the installation does it comments out all sources for software upgrade/installation in some config file and the system willl later be unable to install or upgrade anything.

An unexperienced user will be completely lost and there is no guidance on how to recover.

During installation where network access is not available there is not even an option to retry - it just informs you there will be some future issue but not how to solve it.

More service minded thinking is needed and tools that can troubleshoot installation and get user back on track without using a single konsole command. Just forget the konsole. Whenever you need it it indicates the GUI and tools are incomplete.

Comment

Working...
    X