This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compiled Dazuko for Gutsy and all future releases

Dazuko compiled module should be part of every release.

Re: Compiled Dazuko for Gutsy and all future releases

what is it and why do we need it?
    http://www.dazuko.org/gen.shtml#PRECOMPILED
    or rather are there enough users of this to warrant building this for each and every kernel version we have?

Comment

If you don't know what Dazuko is then do a Google for it. Then you will know why it is needed.

Comment

Dazuko project provides a device driver for Linux allowing third-party (userland) applications to execute file access control
        I did , well before i replied as a matter of fact , and i still don't know what it is really for, and how many people need/use it to warrant having to build this for every kernel version that Ubuntu builds.

Maybe some actual real world examples might clarify it

the wikipedia page for it actually explains it a bit better, but I still don't know why it is needed, as I would imagine that if it was a more common thing, it would already be available in Ubuntu/debian. it does look like Ubuntu's apparmor causes problems with dazuko in Gutsy anyway, perhaps in Hardy, there will be a newer version of apparmor that does not cause any problems for Dazuko, making compiling it easier

Comment

How not to win friends and influence people, Chapter 1

Originally posted by greenfrog
          If you don't know what Dazuko is then do a Google for it. Then you will know why it is needed.
          Folks who actually implement your request aren't likely to respond well to a smart arse suggestion to 'google for it'. In fact, I did 'google for it' when you posted the other day and I still don't see why it should be a part of the standard system. If you want your suggestion to go anywhere, you might first start with a description and then briefly state why it is useful to all or the majority of users. The folks who might implement your request already give very generously of their time just to make kubuntu available to 'grateful' folks like you. The *very* least that non-programmers/non-contributors can do is to provide them the information without being told to 'google for it'.

However, your current method is good for some Christmas amusement. Carry on.

Comment

Dazuko allows ClamAV and several other virus detectors to do on access scanning for viruses. I know that Linux does not have a virus problem, but it does exist in contact with Windows and therefor can pass viruses to Windows users.

That is not something that should be allowed if Linux wants to become mainstream with corporate IT that is
            very concerned with this issue.

Kubuntu has the source in its repros. So it should not be a big issue to compile and provide dazuko.ko
            in the repros.

If you want the average user to embrace Linux then you have to give them an environment that allows them the same abilities of Windows in ease of use, they do not want to be programmers. I know Windows also has some problems, but we want Linux to win out so it up to the Linux community to do better in ease of use for the end user.

Comment

Working...
            X